VMware Communities
Tresio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

URGENT: Some USB devices no longer work in Fusion 3!

I have been using Fusion 2 (and its minor upgrades, through 2.06) on my MacBook Pro. I am using that machine to drive multimedia for a high school variety show of which I am the technical director. I am running some music tracks through iTunes on the Mac side, and some Powerpoint/PDF slideshows (all video-based content) through my PC virtual machine.

The PC side is necessary because I have been connecting wirelessly to a Casio LCD projector. That connection uses dual USB adapters, one for the projector and one for the computer, to connect. This has worked flawlessly all the way through Fusion 2.06, and I have never had any issues.

However, this morning I downloaded and installed Fusion 3, and I'm regretting doing so. My virtual machine will not recognize or even provide power to the Casio wireless USB adapter. I have tried everything to try and rectify this. Our last dress rehearsal for this variety show is tonight, and the two performances are the next two nights. If I don't get this situation resolved within the next 4 hours, we are irrevocably screwed. We will have no way to project any video content.

It is known that the Casio USB wireless adapters are not compatible with 64-bit operating systems, which is one of the reasons I'm running XP SP3 on my virtual machine. Could Fusion 3's support for Snow Leopard (and its associated 64-bit architecture) be the problem? I'm not running Snow Leopard on my Mac side, but I'm just speculating...

Also, is there any quick way to "roll back" to Fusion 2.06, since I know that worked fine with these peripherals?

Please, please, please help, and quickly... in fact, if you prefer, call me: 651-210-5998 and ask for Mike. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

However, this morning I downloaded and installed Fusion 3, and I'm regretting doing so. My virtual machine will not recognize or even provide power to the Casio wireless USB adapter.

Not providing power is really strange, I don't think there's anything we do that could account for this.

It is known that the Casio USB wireless adapters are not compatible with 64-bit operating systems, which is one of the reasons I'm running XP SP3 on my virtual machine. Could Fusion 3's support for Snow Leopard (and its associated 64-bit architecture) be the problem?

I think this is probably unrelated.

Also, is there any quick way to "roll back" to Fusion 2.06, since I know that worked fine with these peripherals?

Yes.

1. If you updated Tools in the guest, uninstall them.

2. Uninstall Fusion 3

3. Install Fusion 2.0.6 from http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_fusion_for_the_mac/2_0

4. If you uninstalled Tools, install them

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

However, this morning I downloaded and installed Fusion 3, and I'm regretting doing so. My virtual machine will not recognize or even provide power to the Casio wireless USB adapter.

Not providing power is really strange, I don't think there's anything we do that could account for this.

It is known that the Casio USB wireless adapters are not compatible with 64-bit operating systems, which is one of the reasons I'm running XP SP3 on my virtual machine. Could Fusion 3's support for Snow Leopard (and its associated 64-bit architecture) be the problem?

I think this is probably unrelated.

Yes.

1. If you updated Tools in the guest, uninstall them.

2. Uninstall Fusion 3

3. Install Fusion 2.0.6 from http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_downloads/vmware_fusion_for_the_mac/2_0

4. If you uninstalled Tools, install them

0 Kudos
HughBorg707
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I've seen a few posts recently of people having major issues with 3.0. If you can I'd roll back to 2 ASAP since you are under a tech crunch. Probably no time to troubleshoot it at this point.