VMware Communities
CyrusJH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

URGENT!! - Installation Problem - Migrating Windows XP from my Laptop - Can't get past log in!!!!

Hi There.

I followed the video tutorial to migrate my old Windows XP Laptop into Fusion 2.0.4 on my 3.0Ghz i mac.

Everything seemed to be going fine up to when the virtual machine started up. I got a message saying that in order to log on I needed to Activate windows. If I click on "No" to try and activate later I am just left at the log on screen. If I try and activate it can't find my network connection. Also, in this state, I can't seem to install VMware tool as the video suggests. The virtual machine seems to be working up to this point. Any suggestions please as to how I get passed the Log In screen???????

I really need to get this machine working as there is a specific piece of software I need to run.

Please bare in mind I am a 15 year MAC user with very limited experience in Windows so baby steps with clear explanations please!!!

Please also be aware that I have absolutely no idea where my serial number for this old installation of windows is (Or even if I had one when I bought the machine 6 years ago!!)

Thanks in advance for all your help

Regards - Cyrus

Just as an addition - I have just found a Windows XP Home serial number - I just don't know if it was from this particular installation - will that still work?? PLEASE HELP!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
boon72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

to change the password login you need to go to control panel> users> change the way users log on / off

ive only just started to use vmware fusion and my 1st issue was getting it the bootcamp xp to work, but ive sorted that now but i had to activate windows in both bootcamp and the vm version. you just need to phone MS and follow the automated option.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

try uisng the option activate later...if you cannot get rid of this..nothing can be done..as this error comes when windows find the hardware change. so only option left is to activate windows....one workaround which may work is.....convert windows laptop into vm will all services disabled...i had found this to be working many a times....or yyou can configure using sysprep as well..

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Looking for a Virtualization Solution, look here.....

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

CyrusJH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Activate later only takes me back to the log in screen so no joy there.

So if I understand you correctly, Can I set up my laptop before doing the conversion so that I don't need to Log in? Is that correct? - If so, I would appreciate if you could tell me where in Windows I deactivate the password log in.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Since its windows XP..there is a way where it doesnt prompt for login password....check out in control panels....you need to do some googling for actual steps... Smiley Happy

now i am not very sure if this will work...but we can always give a try.....

and siabling the services means....go to services.msc and disable all the services.....

Anil Gupta

Don’t fear changes, its constant in life, reduce your ecological footprint……………………..Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

Looking for a Virtualization Solution, look here.....

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

0 Kudos
boon72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

to change the password login you need to go to control panel> users> change the way users log on / off

ive only just started to use vmware fusion and my 1st issue was getting it the bootcamp xp to work, but ive sorted that now but i had to activate windows in both bootcamp and the vm version. you just need to phone MS and follow the automated option.

0 Kudos