VMware Communities
RJKflyer
Contributor
Contributor

UK Users: Road Angel working with VMWare Fusion 3.0.1 and Windows 7?

Sorry that this is a bit specific, and also possibly not only relevant for UK users...

Does anyone have Road Angel updating working under W7 and VMWF? Because I am not.

I have above running on my MBP. Under Vista (with VMWF 3.0.1) I was able to update my Road Angel (GPS-based Speed Camera warning device, with updates via USB but Windows only).

However with W7 installed, although i can get the device to display "Connected to PC" it clearly is not correctly connected as when i run the Road Angel software app and ask it to 'synchronise' (i.e. do an update of the database) it says "The software could not detect the Road Angel".

I've looked in Device Manager (incl. hidden) and i can see no 'other device' - which is usually the case and often shows the question mark (does it under W7???) which allows you to "update driver" etc.

There's no device with any sort of driver warning so i am presuming that the USB drivers are simply not installing, or no working correctly if they are.

Any ideas? Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Make sure that the Road Angel is connected to the virtual machine (Virtual Machine > USB). USB devices can only be controlled by one OS at a time, and from your description it's not clear if OS X has control of the device.

0 Kudos
RJKflyer
Contributor
Contributor

Understand, and have tried all permutations.

The USB 'devices' that show up in the bottom bar (in window view) are a 'modem' and a 'genesys storage' device when the Road Angel is plugged in.

In Vista, i had make sure that I DISCONNECT the 'modem' and CONNECT the 'genesys storage' at which point I hear the ding-dong of the USB connection in Vista and in the Device Manager the 'Jungo' device (which appears to be who maybe writes the USB driver for Road Angel) shows up with 'Road Angel' as a subdevice. No question mark by the subdevice so it's installed and operating correctly. Sometimes people do get the ? and so then you reinstall the driver as per usual Windows procedures in device manager.

Then it all works.

But in W7 i cannot replicate this at all. No combination of connecting/disconnecting USB devices makes it show up, and as i said, not even 'faultily' (i.e. with a ? by the device in DM).

0 Kudos