VMware Communities
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

UI oddity (?)

This may be my ill perception. Two items:

1)

In the Welcome screen, it seems that the "Browse for Vitual Machine..." line should be a button down below. I keep clicking on "Open," expecting to see a file open dialog. Then I realize my error when the highlighted VM starts. Smiley Happy

This may just be me acting as a klutz, but how it works seems quite odd to me.

2) For another nit-picky item:

The VMTN button seems to be out of place. I see that it sends one to the appliance home page, but I can't imagine it being as frequent an action as opening up an existing VM on the local machine. Personally I'd place it last.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

#1: In our initial design "Browse for VM" was a button down below. But it apparently confused users (of the private beta program). So we moved it to the "list of VMs". But we agree it is far from a good location (and at the very least it should be distinguishable from othe rentries in this list, maybe using a bold or italic font or something). The whole "Welcome Screen" design is likely to be re-done for the final release.

#2: Doesn't the Mac HIG (Human Interaction Guidelines) specify that the default action should be last? Here, it should be "Open".

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

#1: In our initial design "Browse for VM" was a

button down below. But it apparently confused users

(of the private beta program).

Very interesting. It's darned peculiar how people perceive things so differently, isn't it? That's what good pre-release cycles reveal, though.

#2: Doesn't the Mac HIG ... the default action should be

last?

Hmmm... I believe you're right. I don't like the HIG much, but it's so well-established that I don't buck it. I try to avoid peeing into the wind more than is absolutely necessary. Smiley Happy

OK... I'll leave this topic alone. It appears to be well-hashed territory. I do appreciate the insights.

0 Kudos