VMware Communities
amigliora
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Type of processor

Hi,

Someone can help me to understand which kind of processor vmware is emulating (Intel Dual Core, Intel P4, etc, etc) and if it is possible to change it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion virtualizes the physical processor(s) of the host system. For most purposes, the virtual processor looks like the physical processor to the guest OS. However, some features which are not virtualized will be masked out.

It is possible to spoof a different processor (with some caveats), What is it that you would like to do?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Surajst
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Intel core duo, Intel core 2 duo are the processors supported for VMware Fusion. Also please note that Macs don't use the Intel P4 processors. Macs started using intel processors with Intel core duo. If you are looking for the system requirements to install Fusion please check the link. http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/resources/system_requirements.html.

Regards...................................

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

VMware Fusion virtualizes the physical processor(s) of the host system. For most purposes, the virtual processor looks like the physical processor to the guest OS. However, some features which are not virtualized will be masked out.

It is possible to spoof a different processor (with some caveats), What is it that you would like to do?

0 Kudos
amigliora
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answers.

That means if I have a core 2 duo, any application will see a core 2 duo, right?

This was my question, didn't know it and just wonder what type of OS and applications I should use.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That means if I have a core 2 duo, any application will see a core 2 duo, right?

Mostly. The 'Duo' part of 'Core 2 Duo' means dual-core. By default, virtual machines are configured to have only one core. So, an application will see a Core 2, but not a Core 2 Duo. Also, if you configure your virtual machine to have two virtual CPUs, they will look like two separate single-core packages rather than one dual-core package.

0 Kudos