VMware Communities
kencheungmd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to update Win 7 to Win 10 with Virtual Machine running on 2013 iMac

Hello,

I have a Windows 7 virtual machine using VMWare Fusion on my 2013 iMac. I'm trying to update this virtual machine to Windows 10.

During the installation/upgrade process, I get this "error" popping up. Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 10.56.21 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Not sure why, but the PCI bridge interfaces in your Windows 7 VM are not correctly configured. Instead they are disabled which is why you did not have any PCI slots available.

Please try the attached .vmx instead.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, search the forum - there have been a handful of posts addressing this issue over the past couple of months.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

See my blog post here:

https://www.vimalin.com/blog/windows-7-to-windows-10-upgrade/

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
kencheungmd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey. Thanks!!!

I'll have a look through and see if I can fix my problem.

Ken

0 Kudos
kencheungmd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi.

I went and followed the steps in your blog link. Thank you. I have a parallel LSI scsi driver. So I followed your next step.

Add the following line to your .vmx file.

scsi1.present = "TRUE"
scsi1.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"

Note that instead of scsi0 it now says scsi1. This is important!

We are adding a new LSI SAS adapter in addition of the scsi adapter we already had.

Now save the file and exit TextEdit.

I left the original .vmx file as-is and just added the two lines (I copied and pasted it to make sure it was correct). I saved the file and then tried to start up my virtual machine. I right away had 3 error messages that popped up sequentially. And ultimately, I could not start up my virtual machine.

I wonder if you can have a look and render any assistance?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

The screenshot only gives a hint.

Please attach the edited .vmx file to your reply here and then I can indeed have a look for you to see how you can resolve this.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
kencheungmd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.

Here's the .vmx file attached. This is my original file with the 2 lines added

scsi1.present = "TRUE"
scsi1.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"

Everything else is unchanged.

Ken

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

According to your screenshots you have created an invalid combination of PCI-ports.

To fix that remove all lines that reference PCIports from the vmx-file and then start the VM again.

0 Kudos
kencheungmd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you.

There seems to be multiple lines of code where "PCI" is mentioned. Do I delete ALL of these lines?! Could you help me with more details if you look at my attached .vmx file from earlier?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Not sure why, but the PCI bridge interfaces in your Windows 7 VM are not correctly configured. Instead they are disabled which is why you did not have any PCI slots available.

Please try the attached .vmx instead.

--

Wil

kencheungmd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

wila,

Thank you so much for your help. I used the file you had edited for me and was able to continue with the installation/upgrade process of Windows 7 to Windows 10. It's all up and running thanks to you!

Best regards,

Ken

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're very welcome!

--

Wil

0 Kudos