VMware Communities
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Trying to run Minecraft on Win 10 Under Fusion 8.1.1 - Video Problem

I'm running OS X 10.11.5 and Fusion 8.1.1. I just installed the current version of Minecraft on this Windows 10 guest in an attempt to run a "server" for my two kids to connect to. When I start up Minecraft it fails and tells me:

"We're sorry but it seems there was an error while trying to render aspects of the game. To solve this error, it is recommended that you update your graphics drivers..."

Since I'm running this Win 10 as a VMware guest, my first stop is here in the VMware community. Any idea what I need to do to gt this working?

Thanks, Jim

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Michael - after reading your query as to where I got my version, I went to the Microsoft Store via my Win 10 system, found the Beta and gave it a whirl. Works fine! So, whatever version that was sold via Mojang, it is not something to use in the future on Windows 10. Now, to see if I can connect to this application from an iPad like other folks say can be done.

Thanks for your assistance - much appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Is VMware Tools installed in the VM?

Menu Bar > Virtual Machine > Install VMware Tools if it isn't

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, VMware tools appear to be installed. I did a re-install and then tried Minecraft again - same error. As a side note, the native Mac version runs fine on this iMac. I'm trying to do this in Windows 10 so that this "world" can be accessed from iPad versions. I have been told that one cannot connect to a Mac version of Minecraft from an iPad version, but you supposedly can connect to the Windows 10 version. If I can get past this video issue I might be able to get it going...!

Additional diagnostics provided by the failure indicate something about:     org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Hm... Is 3D Hardware Acceleration turned on?

I've installed it on multiple machines here and had no issues. We even used it in some screenshots when we launched 8.0.

-
0 Kudos
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, the box is checked but grayed out, I presume because the VM is running so changes aren't permitted.

I'll log the VM off and back on and see if that helps. One never knows... 🙂

0 Kudos
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No joy, after waiting for the reboot to finish up, I get the same abend. Here is a cut/paste of some of the error stuff that is provided:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time: 8/24/16 4:09 PM

Description: Initializing game

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:247)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:306)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:848)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:739)

at bcx.ap(SourceFile:598)

at bcx.an(SourceFile:434)

at bcx.a(SourceFile:381)

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:124)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --

Thread: Client thread

Stacktrace:

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:247)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:306)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:848)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:757)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:739)

at bcx.ap(SourceFile:598)

at bcx.an(SourceFile:434)

-- Initialization --

Details:

Stacktrace:

at bcx.a(SourceFile:381)

at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:124)

-- System Details --

Details:

Minecraft Version: 1.10.2

Operating System: Windows 10 (x86) version 10.0

Java Version: 1.8.0_25, Oracle Corporation

Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation

Memory: 77976616 bytes (74 MB) / 147992576 bytes (141 MB) up to 523501568 bytes (499 MB)

JVM Flags: 6 total; -XX:HeapDumpPath=MojangTricksIntelDriversForPerformance_javaw.exe_minecraft.exe.heapdump -Xmx512M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M

IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0

Launched Version: 1.10.2

LWJGL: 2.9.4

OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ RuntimeException: No OpenGL context found in the current thread.

GL Caps:

Using VBOs: Yes

Is Modded: Probably not. Jar signature remains and client brand is untouched.

Type: Client (map_client.txt)

Resource Packs:

Current Language: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)

CPU: <unknown>

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Thanks for the details, that's interesting.

Can you tell me where you got the Minecraft installer?

I was using the one from the Microsoft store that's built in Windows 10.

-
0 Kudos
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It came from the Mojang web site, to the tune of $26. I purchased it while over on my iMac. It allows me to install on OS X, Linux, or Win 10, all for the same price. Is this not a valid place for the Windows version?

Jim

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I dunno, I just wanted to make sure I could test like-with-like.

I don't know if they're different builds or something, but now I can look into it.

-
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Just checked with that version and it works just fine for me, no issues besides a little chunkiness. I expect that's because I'm full screen on a 30" display (Mac Pro, I also have a 27" 4K connected)  and I had everything set to 'fancy'.

If you go Start, type 'dxdiag', does your output look like this?

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 11.23.27 AM.png

-
0 Kudos
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Michael - after reading your query as to where I got my version, I went to the Microsoft Store via my Win 10 system, found the Beta and gave it a whirl. Works fine! So, whatever version that was sold via Mojang, it is not something to use in the future on Windows 10. Now, to see if I can connect to this application from an iPad like other folks say can be done.

Thanks for your assistance - much appreciated.

0 Kudos
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is what I get from the dxdiag command:

Screenshot 2016-08-25 13.02.10.png

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

There's the problem... Tools are not installed.

Uninstall them, reboot, re-install them, reboot... should be good to go after that.

-
0 Kudos
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmm..... wondering if I'm either dense or something is not right here. I was able to do the un-install and re-booted the guest. Then I clicked on Virtual Machine->Install VMware Tools. Nothing seems to be happening, and it's been 20 minutes. If I now click on Virtual Machine it shows "Cancel VMware Tools Installation" and that is greyed out. How long should this take?

Jim

0 Kudos
W6JHB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

GOT IT!!! Did a Google search on installing the tools, followed it and now all works great. Not only does the space bar respond to my requests to "fly", but the display is a lot better. Further, the initial problem I was having with the non-Win10 Beta mode has been resolved.

May thanks for your help in this one! Al this time I thought I had VMware tools installed, but they were NOT!

Regards, Jim

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Awesome, I'm glad we could help you get that figured out 😃

When it says 'cancel' usually that means that the virtual CD-ROM device is attached with the Tools ISO, and Windows Autoplay might just not have kicked in.

In those cases you can just double-click the CD-ROM from the 'This PC' screen.

Happy crafting!

-
0 Kudos