VMware Communities
ECIT-2
Contributor
Contributor

Troubleshoot: VM from existing disk setup, but errors "Check for missing files failed..Generic Error" upon restart of vm.

Hi

I went to delete a vm last month, but instead I deleted the wrong one. I can't remeber all the details, but essentially I restored my .VMDK but everything else was deleted. Ok, well, no problem, I proceded to make a new vm file using the existing disk. This works without a hitch, BUT when I shutdown the vm & restart it at a later time, I get this error message. "Check for missing files failed..Generic Error" I checked my .VMX file, and the links look fine. Originally the file pointed to the old .VMWAREVM folder package where my disk was. My only consistant solution has been to reboot the mac completly.

Steps Taken:

This is where it gets really unerving. Before I reboot, I try to edit the .vmwarevm packages, but I seem to be denied making any changes. For example, Even though I shutdown Fusion, I still can't change the .vmx file (via TextEdit). I get a "cannot save file" message. I couldn't copy the .vmdk or .vmx file into or out of the packages. I'd get an error message that the file name was too long, and it still wouldn't let me rename it. Even Temrnial was a deadend. (Albeit, I'm a newbie with terminal)

Next, Reboot. I'm now able to make changes, so long as I don't start Fusion. I copied the disk into my new VMWAREVM folder where the rebuilt .vmx file is in place. I delete the old path to the old disk location, and reference the disk in the current folder. Started VMware, ran the vm, no problem.

Finally, I shut it down & restart it again & I'm back to the original error "Check for missing files failed..Generic Error"

Other details: I have my Fusion set to debugging mode. Its a whole nother problem, which I decided to cope with using the debugging. (Some of my vm's would eventually not respond to keyb, mouse, or RDP inputs but feels like its still running on its own. Debugging had a signifacntly longer uptime as of days if not weeks)

Below is my .vmx file. & file contents. Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

Thanks in advance.

EC

(attached is a scrnsht of my pakacge contents as well as two log files)

.VMX FILE

.encoding = "UTF-8"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

memsize = "1012"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Windows XP Professional.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

serial0.present = "TRUE"

serial0.fileType = "thinprint"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

roamingVM.exitBehavior = "go"

tools.syncTime = "TRUE"

displayName = "WinXp_CLOAKED"

guestOS = "winxppro"

nvram = "WinXp_CLOAKED.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"

printers.enabled = "TRUE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "upgradeAtPowerCycle"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "soft"

powerType.suspend = "soft"

powerType.reset = "soft"

extendedConfigFile = "WinXp_CLOAKED.vmxf"

numvcpus = "1"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d b3 8e 14 03 cd a0-b2 91 96 60 5f 2a ac aa"

uuid.bios = "56 4d b3 8e 14 03 cd a0-b2 91 96 60 5f 2a ac aa"

unity.wasCapable = "FALSE"

ide0:0.redo = ""

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "35"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "36"

usb:0.present = "TRUE"

usb:1.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:2a:ac:aa"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "1596632234"

usb:1.deviceType = "hub"

usb:0.deviceType = "mouse"

ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

ide1:0.fileName = "cdrom0"

Last details on my system.

MacPro 2.66 Quad, 7 gigs ram, striped 0 array via software, OS X 10.4.11, Fusion version=2.0.1 build=build-128865 option=BETA

VM= Windows XP Sp2, (used for private surffing)

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ECIT-2
Contributor
Contributor

I just had a closer look at the log file and found the problem (or at least a part of it).

It looking fora vmware.vmsg file in an 'en' folder. When I look into the 'messages' folder, I see what appeares to be other folders abrv. in other languages (de, es, fr, it, ja, zh-Hans) but my 'en' folder is missing!

Any ideas what this file is and how to make anew? (Lastly, what the hell is the 'zh-Hans' folder? )

TIA

EC

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's sounding like you're having really weird permissions problems (doubly so since they go away after a reboot). I would strongly recommend running a filesystem check (e.g. with Disk Utility) and disk check (e.g. with Disk Warrior). The RAID disk is also a bit worrisome - we don't test that configuration, so even if there's nothing wrong with the disk or filesystem, there may be unknown problems.

It looking fora vmware.vmsg file in an 'en' folder. When I look into the 'messages' folder, I see what appeares to be other folders abrv. in other languages (de, es, fr, it, ja, zh-Hans) but my 'en' folder is missing!

That's normal. The English messages are built into Fusion, and so don't need a localization folder.

what the hell is the 'zh-Hans' folder?

zh is Chinese, -Hans is the variant (Simplified)

ECIT-2
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I blurbed out the 'Raid' spec, not thinking that this vm was on a single disk. I none the less tried to run the disk utility & ran into the same run around problems.

When Fusion is running, (or turned off) the disk utility reports 'Repairing disk failed with error Could not unmount disk'. I rebooted my machine in safe mode and turned no errors on any of my disks. Additionally, I also used a utility called "AppleJack" to fix the OS disk and permissions. No problems reported there, mind you the applejack util doesn't check other disks (incl. my vm disk).

When restarted, I decided to reformat the drive, just for the hell of it. Again, the vm would work once, but not a second time (this time in suspended mode). The disk utility reports the same error.

Will Disk Warrior do more?

I'll try moving the vm to another disk entirely and see what happens

Thanks

EC

0 Kudos
ECIT-2
Contributor
Contributor

So I copied the vm package to a different drive and sure enough it worked. Re-tried the original package on the old disk and no luck.

Whats strange is that the Disk Utility shows no errors during safe mode and its on it own single disk, even after re-formating (albeit a fast format).

My sense is that Fusion must be taking ownership, though? The package is the only file on the drive.

Thanks

EC

0 Kudos