VMware Communities
yuorfaec
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble running Team Fortress 2 (TF2) on win 7 boot camp 2.02

The title pretty much says it all.

I can't seem to get Team Fortress 2 (or any of the Source Engine games) running on my Windows 7 x64 Boot Camp partition under VMware Fusion. It works just fine when loading Boot Camp itself, but trying it on Fusion gets me this weird error (attached--tells me to go to https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=772).

Is there anything I can do or is it known that it will not work?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Whoops probably should have included this on the first try!

MacBook Pro (early/mid 2008)

OSX 10.5.6

2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (both cores on virtual machine)

4 GB RAM (1 GB on virtual machine, tried toying with more)

GeForce 8600M GT/512 MB RAM

3D acceleration enabled

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We do know about Windows 7 not working 100% with our old drivers. All I can say is that it's being looked at internally. You might want to make sure that you have the 3D drivers installed and see if you can get some other 3D working. Keep in mind, also, that you're running a beta guest OS that was released after Fusion 2.0.

0 Kudos
yuorfaec
Contributor
Contributor

Like anything specifically I should look for? How would I go about reinstalling the 3D drivers?

And I completely understand; I'm not demanding for a solution. If this were XP or Vista, perhaps, but it's us beta testers who are supposed to figure out the problems this time.

Also, when I tried changing the OS to Vista x64 in the main Fusion window, it said that 64 bit SCSI drivers were not supported, and it would not load. Is that an issue with 64 bit OSs overall?

Previous VMs I've used were x86, so pardon my unfamiliarity.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you installed tools then the 3D driver should be there. Your guest isn't in a 4:3 window so I'm fairly sure that you've got the driver installed. If you look in the windows hardware profile, do you have a driver installed for the VMware SVGA II adapter?

I think the 64 bit SCSI drivers thing is most likely a packaging issue, but I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
yuorfaec
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, the driver's there. I'm beginning to accept that it's just a Windows 7 thing that isn't supported (...yet?)

Wondering if it would help any, I backed up my BC partition, erased it, and attempted to repartition it...but then I got an error. After trying Disk Utility, it seemed my problem was an "Invalid Node Structure". Not really wanting to mess with that, I backed up everything on my Mac, zeroed out the HD, and did a clean reinstall. After getting BC and Fusion up and running, the SCSI driver error disappeared. I'm sure the two problems were unrelated, but heck, that part's solved!

But I'll still mess with TF2...I'd love to be able to play it without having to reboot. I'll try loading it into DX8, any other ideas?

0 Kudos