VMware Communities
DD75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trouble creating VM using macOS Sierra 10.12

Ultimately I'm trying to create a USB installer with macOS Sierra 10.12 so I can install Sierra on a 2010 MacBook.

My MacBook is running Big Sur, and I heard I need to extract/create the USB installer inside a VMware Fusion VM.

I've been able to create a new VM by File > New and dragging the Catalina dmg into the File > New window. I believe this sets the Catalina file as the CD-ROM for the VM.

However, in a Catalina VM I'm having trouble extracting the Sierra dmg to make a bootable USB from, so I thought I should simply create a VM from Sierra directly.

In VMware Fusion File > New, if I drag the Sierra dmg into the File > New window, it is set as the CD-ROM, but when running the VM it doesn't boot from the CD-ROM, so I can't install Sierra in that VM. When I create the VM, I make sure to set the OS version as 10.12 but that doesn't fix the issue.

How do I create a Sierra 10.12 VM from the dmg file please (when my host is Big Sur)?

Help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Setting aside the VM setup question temporarily: where did you hear that you need to create the USB installer from inside a VM?

I haven't tried creating a Sierra installer from Big Sur, but in general it has been possible to use the createinstallmedia command line tool inside a macOS installer application from other versions of macOS (probably with a limit once you get too much older or newer than the target macOS version). I'm not sure if I've tried creating a Sierra bootable installer from Catalina (10.15) or newer, but I have done it from Mojave (10.14).

Sierra and earlier are now distributed as a disk image containing an installer package, rather than an application, which complicates the process.

Does your 2010 MacBook have a working OS at present? If so, you may be able to download the Sierra disk image on that computer, open it, and run the installer package, which will create the Sierra installer application. You can then use that to create a USB installer (or simply run the installer application).

If your 2010 MacBook has no working OS and you are needing to use your newer MacBook (running Big Sur) to get the older one up and running, then read on.

You can't use the Sierra disk image directly to create a VM. It is not a bootable disk image. The disk image contains an installer package. Using that package creates "Install macOS Sierra.app" in your Applications folder. You need that application to create a USB installer, or to create a Sierra virtual machine.

The catch: the installer package refuses to run if the version of macOS is too old (or too new) for your Mac model.

You didn't clearly identify your newer MacBook, but the fact that it is able to run Big Sur means it must be a 2013 or later model (assuming you haven't done any third party hacks). 2013 to Mid 2017 models can boot Sierra, therefore the installer package should work. Late 2017 and newer cannot boot Sierra, so the installer package will refuse to proceed.

The installer model check is bypassed if it is running inside a VM, so you should be able to use a macOS VM to open the disk image, run the installer package, and create "Install macOS Sierra.app". Your existing Catalina VM should be able to do this.

If Catalina is too new to run the Sierra disk image's installer package, then you could set up an older macOS version as a VM. High Sierra (10.13) and Mojave (10.14) can be downloaded as installer applications (rather than disk images). If your Mac model is old enough, you should be able to get them from Apple's support site. If your Mac is too new, then you should be able to get them from inside your Catalina VM. Once you have the "Install macOS High Sierra" (or Mojave) application, copy it to the host (if necessary), use it to create another VM, then try the Sierra disk image inside that VM.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Setting aside the VM setup question temporarily: where did you hear that you need to create the USB installer from inside a VM?

I haven't tried creating a Sierra installer from Big Sur, but in general it has been possible to use the createinstallmedia command line tool inside a macOS installer application from other versions of macOS (probably with a limit once you get too much older or newer than the target macOS version). I'm not sure if I've tried creating a Sierra bootable installer from Catalina (10.15) or newer, but I have done it from Mojave (10.14).

Sierra and earlier are now distributed as a disk image containing an installer package, rather than an application, which complicates the process.

Does your 2010 MacBook have a working OS at present? If so, you may be able to download the Sierra disk image on that computer, open it, and run the installer package, which will create the Sierra installer application. You can then use that to create a USB installer (or simply run the installer application).

If your 2010 MacBook has no working OS and you are needing to use your newer MacBook (running Big Sur) to get the older one up and running, then read on.

You can't use the Sierra disk image directly to create a VM. It is not a bootable disk image. The disk image contains an installer package. Using that package creates "Install macOS Sierra.app" in your Applications folder. You need that application to create a USB installer, or to create a Sierra virtual machine.

The catch: the installer package refuses to run if the version of macOS is too old (or too new) for your Mac model.

You didn't clearly identify your newer MacBook, but the fact that it is able to run Big Sur means it must be a 2013 or later model (assuming you haven't done any third party hacks). 2013 to Mid 2017 models can boot Sierra, therefore the installer package should work. Late 2017 and newer cannot boot Sierra, so the installer package will refuse to proceed.

The installer model check is bypassed if it is running inside a VM, so you should be able to use a macOS VM to open the disk image, run the installer package, and create "Install macOS Sierra.app". Your existing Catalina VM should be able to do this.

If Catalina is too new to run the Sierra disk image's installer package, then you could set up an older macOS version as a VM. High Sierra (10.13) and Mojave (10.14) can be downloaded as installer applications (rather than disk images). If your Mac model is old enough, you should be able to get them from Apple's support site. If your Mac is too new, then you should be able to get them from inside your Catalina VM. Once you have the "Install macOS High Sierra" (or Mojave) application, copy it to the host (if necessary), use it to create another VM, then try the Sierra disk image inside that VM.

DD75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Dempson, 

I can't remember where I read that.

From your advice, I did download High Sierra through the App Store, opened it, and then created the bootable USB drive from the command line while "Install High Sierra" was in Applications.

High Sierra is now installing on my 2010 MacBook and I am chuffed.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@DD75 

If you mark the response above as a solution, others will know your issue is resolved and be able to locate the solution easily - you can do that from the ... menu by each reply.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
DD75
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Scott

0 Kudos