VMware Communities
jeremyjw
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trouble connecting firewire

Hi, all. I'm having trouble getting a firewire connection to be recognised in VMWare. I used to successfully connect my camera and download footage to a video editing package via firewire. Not sure what might have changed in the meantime. Does anyone have any ideas what setting needs changing? Many thanks!

Jeremy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Virtual machines do not have direct Firewire connections. You can add a virtual USB controller, but there is no virtual Firewire controller. So you can either attach your camera to the FIrewire port, and use the video editing software on your physical host (not in virtual machine) or connect your camera to USB, if available, so that the camera can be connected to the virtual USB controller.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Virtual machines do not have direct Firewire connections. You can add a virtual USB controller, but there is no virtual Firewire controller. So you can either attach your camera to the FIrewire port, and use the video editing software on your physical host (not in virtual machine) or connect your camera to USB, if available, so that the camera can be connected to the virtual USB controller.

0 Kudos
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Firewire devices are not supported in VMware Fusion.

Regards,

Silica V.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
maddymac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware should consider supporting Firewire in VM in their future products, as there are many Firewire device available for Mac systems and also latest MotherBoard for Windows Smiley Wink are coming with Firewire ports.

asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No virtualization product has virtual Firewire AFAIK. I don't know what the technical issues are, but I remember and old post that indicated settings that implied VMWare was working on virtual Firewire. But that was over a year ago, so it would seem that it's either lower on the priority list, or the hurdles to virtual Firewire are not insignificant.

0 Kudos