VMware Communities
antoineps
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble accessing another computer from within Windows XP running in Fusion

My macbook pro is running Leopard. I am able to connect to an iMac also running Leopard. When I connect to the iMac, I log in with a username and password. I am able to access my account on the iMac as well as shared folders on that iMac for which I have permission. When I run Windows XP in Fusion on my macbook pro, I attempt to connect to the iMac with the following steps:

1) I run the "run" program

2) I enter the numberic address of the iMac followed by "\" and then by my username.

3) A dialog box pops up. I enter a username of WORKGROUP\{my username}. I enter my password but it is not accepted.

Question:

My user name on the iMAC is my first name and last name separated by a space. Does that create a problem? I tried using short name, which is one word, I created on the iMac when my account was set up there. Does XP accept the short name? I tried it, but it also didn't work.

What can I do to access my account on the iMac?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

2) I enter the numberic address of the iMac followed by "\" and then by my username.

You need to use a double backslash. e.g \\Computer_Name or \\Computer_IP_Address

3) A dialog box pops up. I enter a username of WORKGROUP\{my username}. I enter my password but it is not accepted.

You need to use valid Account Information for the System you're trying to access. The User name and Password must be spelled the same way as if you were logging into the physical system directly.

My user name on the iMAC is my first name and last name separated by a space. Does that create a problem? I tried using short name, which is one word, I created on the iMac when my account was set up there. Does XP accept the short name? I tried it, but it also didn't work.

Windows XP password are case sensitive although the user name is not it still must be spelled properly including spaces if any.

antoineps
Contributor
Contributor

I left out that I do use double backslash. I just tried logging into the iMAC with another account name that is just a single word and it works. It appears that using a user name with two words separated by a space doesn't work nor does the short name assoicated with a mac account

0 Kudos