VMware Communities
danblee
Contributor
Contributor

Trouble Getting to Internet using Fusion with Vista VM

For the life of me I'm not sure why I can't get to the internet now through my Vista VM, but its just not happening. I get an IP address, I get local access on the NIC just fine, but I can't reach out to the internet. I have DHCP set for both my Mac and the VM. I don't mess with the NIC settings, so I'm clueless as to why I can't reach the internet. Its my only VM at the moment, so I'm not sure how else to troubleshoot the matter.

If I do an ipconfig -all I can see that I get an IP address from my router. That's how I know I have internal access. But I can't ping anything in the outside world. I've released and renwed the IP address, flushed DNS.

Not sure what else this community needs to help me troubleshoot. I'll be checking this post often as I need this VM in order to do my work. Let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Dan B. Lee

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like you have the Virtual Machine's Network configured as Bridged so as a test change it to NAT and see if you can get to the Internet then.

If you do this while the Virtual Machine is running you'll need to release/renew the IP Address.

Hint: Toggling between NAT and Bridged can be done without rebooting or even using ipconfig to release/renew the IP Address in Windows. Simply toggle the Connected/Disconnected state of the Network from the Network icon on the Status Bar while switching the Network type in between.

0 Kudos
danblee
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for not mentioning that. I'm using NAT. I've always used NAT and haven't changed that since I first installed Fusion. This is what is confusing me so much. It was all working just fine before. I haven't changed any settings.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dan B. Lee

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In your OP you stated "If I do an ipconfig -all I can see that I get an IP address from my router. That's how I know I have internal access." so I assumed you were talking about a physical router on your LAN not the NAT DHCP Server.

Anyway we need to start a troubleshooting process to see where the issue is and to do that a quick and simple test that will help narrow down where the issue might be is as follows...

==========

Here is a test I like to tell people to try to help start to see where the issue may lie. Using this test it eliminates anything being mis-configured in the Guest OS as one is using a Live OS ISO Image and nothing needs to be configured besides taking all the defaults as one walks through the process with this in mind.

Download the dsl-4.4.10.iso (50 MB in size) image from DSL Linux and create a new Other Linux 2.4.x kernel Virtual Machine and just take the defaults as you walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant.

Note: There is nothing to install as you're running the DSL Linux from the ISO Image that you selected as you walk through the New Virtual Machine Assistant on the Installation Media sheet where you select Use operating system installation disk image file:.

If the Host has Internet Connectivity you should be able to start the Other Linux 2.4.x kernel Virtual Machine using the dsl-4.4.10.iso and then bring up the Web Browser by clicking on the Fx icon on the Panel on the DSL Linux Desktop and you should connect to the Internet immediately. Note: This assumes the Virtual Machine's Network is set to the default NAT and the Host has Internet/Network Connectivity at the time you run this Virtual Machine.

By doing this if you connect immediately as you use the Browser from the DSL Linux Live OS ISO Image that tell us that the Fusion Application and the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure is okay and that the problem is in the Windows Virtual Machine and then wouldn't really be a Fusion issue beyond uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Tools in the target Virtual Machine however do the test with DSL Linux and report back and we can start a logical troubleshooting process from there.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

Here is a direct download link in case you have a hard time finding the dsl-4.4.10.iso.

danblee
Contributor
Contributor

I'm going to install the DSL Linux iso and let you know. As it turns out, if I switch to bridged and release\renew I can get to the internet just fine, switching back to NAT renders me in the same position I was befre: lan connectivity with no internet. I could just leave it at this but I'm really curious as to why NAT stopped working. I'll install the DSL Lunix VM and let you know.

0 Kudos
alin1
Contributor
Contributor

Did your VM pick up the DNS servers from your router? If not, you can add that in manually.

Is the security on the router set to only allow certain mac addresses through?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You don't actually install the DSL Linux as you're just running it from a Live Linux ISO Image and that's part of what makes this such a simple test.

Anyway it's good to know the Bridged works but try DSL Linux using the default NAT and we can go from there.

0 Kudos