VMware Communities
chrilarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken

Hello,

After migrating my MacBook from Catalina to Monterey, I can not open my VMs anymore: Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken

- MacBook Pro 16 Intel - Monterey 12.2.1

- VMWare Fusion 12.2.1

I tried the following methods stated in the other posts regarding this error and nothing worked.

- sudo kextutil /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmmon.kext

go into system preferences, battery, and disable “Automatic Graphics Switching”

manually edit the .vmx file, modifying the option mks.forceDiscreteGPU="TRUE" to mks.forceDiscreteGPU="FALSE"

- disable 3D accelerator

Thank you for your help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chrilarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, but it didn't solve the issue.

I finally solved my problem by enabling SIP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
62 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Try: Drag Fusion to the trash.  Empty trash.  Reboot.  Empty Trash.  Reinstall fusion using an administrator account.

0 Kudos
chrilarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, but it didn't solve the issue.

I finally solved my problem by enabling SIP.

0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

so you are keepign SIP disabled permanently?

im having the same error but I didnt change anything that could have made this start happening!?!

0 Kudos
chrilarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, it's the other way around. I enabled SIP which was disabled (for testing).

coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All -  i have tried everything I can find on the communities site but i still have this error

I am running macbook pro 13" 2017,  macOS big sur, Fusion 12

this problem occured 'suddenly' , its not like I modified anything major, just one day I couldnt start my win10 VM

-i have tried toggling SIP

-i have reinstalled fusion 12

-i have even tried reinstalled a fresh win10 vm from .iso  but when it tried to do this, it hits the same error

-the only thing wrong with my machine.. is it will not run well without plugged in, its telling me my battery condition has a fault. but its been this way for a long time without issue

any other suggestions please?

i am reluctant to upgrade macOS to Monterray unless there is a concrete reason to think this might solve the problem

chrilarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Is there a crash report in your Console?

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Also, specifically which minor versions of Fusion 12 and macOS Big Sur do you have installed?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Im not sure.  I am trying to find any type of 'console' and dont see one. the only thing i see is when is the black window with the large white arrow (the win10 vm window) and when i click.. it simplly pops up the message box with the error message mentioned... i think click 'ok' to dismiss the message. at this point the win10 vm window still there. i can open up the settings menu       @chrilarc   based on my response... am i not understanding what you mean by console?

0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

macos big sur 11.6.1

fusion 12.2.3 ( i just upgraded this morning)  but have same problem yesterday and today

0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

screenshot of vmware fusion info window.png   oh... i should also mention that one of the many thhings i tried (2 days ago) was changing priviledges using sudo commands. i enabeled full access to everyone but error still occured.

here im showing hte current settings , after i did fresh install of fusion last night

@Technogeezer do you think my problem has anything to do with the permissions or ownership?

NedGerken
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Same problem here, too. Is VmWare going to fix this or should I be migrating to some other product? Any recommendations on alternates to VmWare?

chrilarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

Run your Console app and check if there is a crash report concerning vmware-vmx.

In my case the exception was (see the attached crash.txt file):

Exception Type: EXC_GUARD (SIGKILL)

Exception Codes: GUARD_TYPE_VIRT_MEMORY

0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

can you tell me specifically what console app you want me to look at?  I have seached onlline and find no mention of a console or app  .  thx!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You should never have to use sudo on the mac for anything.  If you've installed and are running Fusion as an administrator, it should be fine.  

whatever you do, don't set a root password!

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

sudo can get you into a lot of trouble. Apple is not only setting UNIX permissions but ACLs, flags, and other undocumented metadata in the file system these days. Hard to make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

And to setting a root password, I quote the esteemed Egon Spengler responding to why to not cross the streams:  "It would be bad".

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@chrilarc 

there was no crash report but here is the log file which at least logs the error and some other information.

is there anything in here that indicates what the problem might be?  thanks!

0 Kudos
coolpontiac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i see some ownerships of files as 'wheel' , was that the result of me running sudo commands

should i change ownership back to 'admin'?  not sure if that is related to having a root password set

how can i confirm that i dont have a root password set?   

thx

0 Kudos
Hetal1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running into the same issue with Mac M1 Mac OS 12.3.1 (Monterey) and VMware Fusion 12.2.3

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@Hetal1 wrote:

I am running into the same issue with Mac M1 Mac OS 12.3.1 (Monterey) and VMware Fusion 12.2.3

Actually, you are not running into the same issue.  The *only* version of Fusion which will run on an M1 Mac is the Tech Preview.  The x86 version will NOT work.  Also, note that you will not be able to run any x86 guest Virtual Machines either, only ARM architecture ones.

0 Kudos