VMware Communities
lugesm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Transition to Fusion 3 & Windows 7

Currently running Fusion 2.06 with one virtual machine, Windows XP, SP3. No problems.

When I upgrade can I do the following:

1. Upgrade Fusion 2.06 to Fusion 3.0

2. Leave WinXP in place and test compatibility and functionality. Assuming this is successful . . .

3. Install a SECOND virtual machine, Windows 7.

4. Test Windows 7 for compatibility and functionality.

5. Continue to run Fusion 3 with both virtual machines available.

6. At some point when all the dust settles, remove the WinXP virtual machine.

This would be ideal for my situation, and probably for other users. Any problems with this approach ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This should be fine, unless your Windows 7 license is an upgrade and you want to upgrade from the XP virtual machine (in which case you wouldn't be able to continue using the XP virtual machine). The basic idea of running multiple virtual machines is sound, we all do it daily at VMware.

0 Kudos
flipdoubt
Contributor
Contributor

I have a related question about upgrading a Windows 7 VM from Fusion 2.0.6 to Fusion 3.0. I've just started reading about all the great looking advances in graphics, which presumably means new virtual graphics hardware. Have you guys run into any activation problems when upgrading a Windows 7 VM from 2.0 to 3.0? Does Windows 7 detect hardware changes and deactivate the OS license?

0 Kudos
rjlongo3
Contributor
Contributor

I am running Fusion 2.0.6 and I have a Windows XP professional virtual machine. When I try to install Windows 7 upgrade, i get the following message: "To use the product key you entered, start the installation on a computer that is running a genuine version of windows." Well, i have a genuine version of windows that I am running via Fusion. How can I take care of this. I know that I should be able to install Windows 7 because I do have a genuine version of windows (windows XP professional), but running on a virtual machine. I realize that I won't be able to run the windows xp virtual machine after installing Windows 7. Thanks..

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos