VMware Communities
Rai66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Transferring Virtual machine from External drive - URGENT HELP PLEASE

I recently transferred my Virtual Machine to an external HD as i had to re-install my Leopard OS, now when I try to copy the VM back to my mac from the external drive, half way through I get error message ...."You can’t copy “Windows Vista.vmwarevm” because it has the same name as another item on the destination volume, and that volume doesn’t distinguish between upper- and lowercase letters in filenames."

The VM runs fine from the external drive, but its not practical for me and ideally I need it back on my Laptop....Please advise.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To what folder on the Mac are you copying it and what else is in that folder when you copy it. Also I hope Fusion is closed when your trying to copy it.

Another thing you might want to do is inside the Virtual Machine Package there are two folders, Applications and appListCache, that I always delete before copying/moving and these will be recreated and the reason I do it is I've seen copying fail until they were deleted although usually it's one of the .app's in the Applications folder with the Virtual Machine Package that has caused the issue.

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Search > type Package then select Work with Virtual Machine Packages

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To what folder on the Mac are you copying it and what else is in that folder when you copy it. Also I hope Fusion is closed when your trying to copy it.

Another thing you might want to do is inside the Virtual Machine Package there are two folders, Applications and appListCache, that I always delete before copying/moving and these will be recreated and the reason I do it is I've seen copying fail until they were deleted although usually it's one of the .app's in the Applications folder with the Virtual Machine Package that has caused the issue.

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Search > type Package then select Work with Virtual Machine Packages

0 Kudos
Rai66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you ! deleting the 2 folders worked.

0 Kudos