VMware Communities
Norman_Rubenis
Contributor
Contributor

Transfer Windows OS direct from PC?

Can anyone tell me if its possible to transfer the complete Windows OS from my PC? I am thinking of installing Fusion on my Mac Pro and need to know if I need to purchase a separate copy of windows or whether I can transfer the whole thing from my pc.

Any help would be very welcome.

Cheers, Norman.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kristein
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

clone the entire system using VMware convertor and copy the converted image on to Mac OS and run as Virtual Machine

You can download VMware convertor from the below link

Also visit the below links for more details on converting the physical windows to a Virtual Machine

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual301.pdf

0 Kudos
Uncle_Art
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"need to know if I need to purchase a separate copy of windows or whether I can transfer the whole thing from my pc."

As mentioned in the previous reply... moving the Real PC to a Virtual One should be easy enough... but Licensing it is a completely separate issue.

This, too, should be simple... but you're at Microsofts' Mercy there.

If your Current OS is an "Activate Online" install, it is going to need to be RE Activated, as Fusion is going to present Windows with a MUCH different set of Hardware. This SHOULD be easy, but may require a call to the MS Activation Hotline.

BUT, if the OS is of the "OEM" flavor, the License does not permit it to be moved to new physical hardware... and Microsoft may or may not grant you another Activation on it.

So, YES, you can move the contents of an existing PC to a Fusion VM, OS and all (and it works well, to boot!) BUT the Licensing Restrictions "might" get in your way, depending on your "flavor" of Windows Install on the current PC.

0 Kudos