VMware Communities
Speedbird
Contributor
Contributor

To suspend or not

Hi all,

I was wondering if there are any potentially issues in suspending (instead of stopping) a VM?. I basically have a CentOS 4.5 VM running on my MacBook C2D, I mainly use the VM tu run MySQL, apache and Zope (a web framework app), since every day I'd have to start the VM and run the applications, I decided every night to "suspend" the VM and "resume" it the next morning.

The process has been perfect but I am worried there may be any files/hooks left open, and since I rsync my hard disk every other day to an external one, I wonder if the "suspended" state of the VM could bite my arse eventually..

Thanks for all the input.

\-- sb

0 Kudos
4 Replies
anothercaliforn
Contributor
Contributor

Suspend good = speed to close at current state

Suspend BAD = I can resume your admin right enabled session and guess what I am you. I can now make you do bad things.

Looking for a way to disable suspend in options. Been looking for days. Yes I am new with WMWare having been using Hyper-V and VPC etc., but it should be an easy way to keep suspend ability off of my network.

Always need a logon at least...or force a log off. Running 2003 svr in a vista host (VMPLAYER 2.5

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The process has been perfect but I am worried there may be any files/hooks left open, and since I rsync my hard disk every other day to an external one, I wonder if the "suspended" state of the VM could bite my arse eventually..

Some things that would not work well across suspend are network, files on HGFS shares (which is very much like a network filesystem from the guest point of view), and USB devices. Other than that, it should be fine.

0 Kudos
dtracey
Expert
Expert

As long as VMware tools are installed into the guest you shouldn't get any issues when you resume your guest.

The kinds of issues you may get with guests is also often with authentication / kerberos / ntp, or where a machine is part of a domain such as in a windows AD environment. Then you might start seeing issues with database inconsistencies etc.

Hope that helps.

Dan

0 Kudos
anothercaliforn
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly, AD, kerberos user with elevated logon is now a target, if he suspends and I find his vm files.

I would like to find out how to enforce logon at start (at the least) or a way to disable suspend all together.

I was able to show a high level user how I could use his authentication to gain anything he could. Wow, if he was in finance I could...

0 Kudos