VMware Communities
Roboooo
Contributor
Contributor

Time Machine won't Backup

About a month ago, I installed the trial version of Fusion, decided I didn't want it, and removed it from my MacBook Pro. Ever since, I've been unable to successfully back-up using Time Machine. Its like it's in an endless loop. I've searched the forums and found threads that describe numerous files to manually delete, but still can't back up with Time Machine after I deleted them and rebooted. Any suggestions...Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Update Fusion to 1.1.3 and check

Regards,

Silica V.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
0 Kudos
Roboooo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but my point was that I no longer want to use fusion. So, how can I clean it totally off my computer so Time Machine will work again? Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Time Machine is an Apple Application and if you're having a problem with an Apple Application you should be turning to Apple for Support and if Fusion isn't even installed on your system then I don't see how this is Fusion issue. The only thing Fusion would have done is set an Exclusion on the Virtual Machines from being backed up and if you have uninstalled Fusion and deleted the Virtual Machines then I do not see how your Time Machine issue has anything to do with Fusion.

0 Kudos
Roboooo
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it worked perfectly BEFORE I installed Fusion, wouldn't work while Fusion was installed, and then wouldn't work after Fusion was un-installed. Fusion somehow changed something, so my questions was, "Has anyone else experience this and what did they do to correct it?" Obviously, I'm inquiring to Apple, but this isn't about "Whose Fault it is", is about an exchange of information working to help solve peoples problems. Thank you....

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I didn't say your were trying to blame anyone and the point I was trying to make was Time Machine is an Apple Application and they should be able to tell you how to fix it as they know how it works, what it looks at and what configuration files get modified, like the "/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist" for one. AFAIK Fusion modifications concerning Time Machine only effect the Virtual Machine and nothing else system wide. In other words Fusion sets an extended attribute that show as an @ when you check the permission from a Terminal on the Virtual Machine Bundle Package and or the .vmdk files inside the bundle and nothing else. This has been covered in this forum before so maybe searching the forum might yield additional information however if Apple doesn't know how to fix their own software then thats really sad.

0 Kudos
esouthwell
Contributor
Contributor

I've got an idea why time machine is failing. Check cause I could be wrong.

IF time machine is backing up to a external disk that is formated Fat32, AND you still have a Fusion hard drive image on your Mac that is larger than 4GB, THEN time machine will error when it is unable to copy the large file to the fat32 file system.

Just a thought.

0 Kudos
Roboooo
Contributor
Contributor

Fixed my problem....It's seems that somehow Fusion corrupted the partion that held Windows XP; even after the program was completely un-installed. I went into Boot Camp and removed the partition that contained Windows XP; after a quick restart, Time Machine backed up my Mac perfectly!!! Only downside is the need to reinstall XP again, but that's a far sight better than having to reformat and reinstall my primary operating system. Thanks for everyone's input......

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Glad you got it fixed, but I think it's unlikely Fusion was the one that corrupted your Boot Camp partition - AFAIK we don't touch the partition tables.

0 Kudos