VMware Communities
vmwaredownload
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Three VMs with Bridged Networks, getting the same IP address

I'm getting ready to take my certification exam.  Yesterday I bought a 15" Macbook Pro with 500GB disk, 8GB RAM, and a quad-core processor.  The first thing I did was upgrade it from OS X 10.7.3 to 10.7.4.  Today I installed Fusion and set up a VM running ESXi 5.  I set it up with bridged networking so I could access the VM from a different laptop.  Then, being lazy, I shutdown the server and copied the VM to create two new images (cp -r "VMware ESXi 5.vmwarevm" "VMware ESXi 5(1).vmwarevm"; cp -r "VMware ESXi 5.vmwarevm" "VMware ESXi 5(2).vmwarevm").  When I booted the VMs for the first time, I got the expected pop-ups and told Fusion that I had copied the VMs, not moved them. Afterwards, my .vmx files contain the following addresses (and yes, matching UUIDs):

$ grep ethernet0.generatedAddress */*.vmx
VMware ESXi 5(1).vmwarevm/VMware ESXi 5.vmx:ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:e4:6f:c0"
VMware ESXi 5(1).vmwarevm/VMware ESXi 5.vmx:ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
VMware ESXi 5(2).vmwarevm/VMware ESXi 5.vmx:ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:45:d0:6f"
VMware ESXi 5(2).vmwarevm/VMware ESXi 5.vmx:ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
VMware ESXi 5.vmwarevm/VMware ESXi 5.vmx:ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0C:29:EF:E8:E8"
VMware ESXi 5.vmwarevm/VMware ESXi 5.vmx:ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

However, all three machines are getting the same IP address.  I've just rebooted my Macbook and started just the two copies, not the original.  Here is what my home access point is telling me:

(active)     unknown1040F3AF7BC4     10:40:f3:af:7b:c4     192.168.1.82

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0a&NODEID=18(inactive)     unknown000C29EFE8E8     00:0c:29:ef:e8:e8     192.168.1.83

The first line is the Macbook, the second line is the original VM (which isn't running). The two VMs which are running are both showing the same screen:
Download tools to manage this host from:
http://unknown000C29EFE8E8/
Apparently, copying the VMs didn't work as well as I'd hoped.  Does anyone know why my two copies are using the same MAC address, and more importantly, how to get them to use the MAC address in the .vmx file?  Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
samwyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

BTW, I'm the original poster; I was logged into My VMware as myself, but somehow i was logged into the forums as vmwaredownload, which isn't a real person.

0 Kudos