VMware Communities
ktrevolt
Contributor
Contributor

Thinking about purchasing Fusion 4? DON'T

Don't even waste your time. "90 new features" and 1 massive headache. I was pleased with Fusion 3, but it did not work well when I upgraded to Lion OSX. Then I received info from VMWare that these issues were resolved in Fusion 4. HORRIBLE PRODUCT - rushed to market! Nothing but nightmares with this thing. There are 2 simple principles with a successful business - 1. Good product and 2. Good customer service. They have failed at both. "If you liked Fusion 3 you'll love Fusion 4" is what I was told by sales department. No truth to that one. Give an upgrade price to loyal customers? NO. Refund policy for inferior product? NO! I am more disappointed with their complete lack of customer consideration than the worthless product. Well, I learned a $50 lesson. Please, for your sake, avoid this software.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EMR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not affiliated in any way to VMware, but my advice about Fusion is COMPLETELY contrary to that of the OP. The only noticeable shortcoming I can perceive in Fusion 4.0.1 is the lack of compliance with the full-screen-app Lion specification. Other than that, it's way better than Fusion 3.x.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi ktrevolt,

I reviewed your three forum postings to date, the only details I could find was a mention of slow performance and freezing. If you could provide some details about your Mac, the Windows systems you're running, or the actions you took that resulted in a poor experience I would like to find someone to help?

Simon

0 Kudos
Nevering
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. Don't purchase yet. This has been the first upgrade in awhile that has broken things.  My interent connection has totally disappeared, yet I can get to the network.. strange. My connect to a SVN offsite repository has broken. I was using TortoiseSVN to make connections.  Has been solid until this upgrade.

0 Kudos
dfran1
Contributor
Contributor

Even thou I am still on the trial, I have had fusion since I switched to Mac's 3 ½ hears ago and things seem to be good for me so far with version 4, where is the discount for us!!!!!! $50 for everyone?? What gives??? I did not give up on you, I could switch to parallels for $30, but I don't want to but it is very temping, real user loyalty discount PLEASE!! and SOON PLEASE!

0 Kudos
maroo69
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm a Fusion 3 customer, and I'm normally afraid to upgrade this kind of product.

At the moment I'll not upgrade for the price, almost all product give the opportunity to pay something like 10$ or 20$ to upgrade, in this case I am really disappointed for the fact that vmware don't give an "upgrade" option.

If they will do that I'll upgrade, I'm also thinking like other user to use competitor product, like parallel, at least to give a try.

Regards

0 Kudos
treee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why not try the product before you buy it? You get 30 days to try it. If you don't like it you can return to Fusion 3.1.3 or you can try Parallels or VirtualBox. Also, if you run into problems why not try to resolve them first, see  what happens? Again, with a trial you can always decide to not buy it if  the problems are not resolved. Trialing saves you money Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
democrite
Contributor
Contributor

I think the rush to market might have been prompted by Parallels 7. Not sure how the market share compares but i bet VMware can't afford to loose more. So they needed to get out 4. It's been ok for me but still slow and Parallels is recently stable (at least with just light things like Word) and much faster so I'll tolerate it's bad UI.

0 Kudos