VMware Communities
Needful
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The file Specified is not a virtual disk windows XP VmFusion 4.1.4

I know this question has been answered multiple times.  I however, am "almost" computer illiterate and the answer appears to be specific to the user/problem what ever.  I am a MAJOR Mac fan, however need windows to do my job.  I have not been able to access the windows side of my Mac through VM Ware Fusion (just updated to 4.1.4- hoping that would solve the issue- it didn't)

I had an issue before and did upgrade over the summer - I must have had 3?  Any help would be appreciated - seriously considering a windows computer as this is my second time losing access to windows in the past 6 months!:smileyconfused:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just to update this, for others reading this thread, for more completeness... Working on this via TeamViewer I created a new Virtual Machine from the Base Disk since all User Data is/was saved to the Mac and all necessary Windows Apps were install on the Base Disk before all the Snapshots were taken.  Windows updates are now being done and will then make a proper backup for recovery after the updates.  Fortunately because of how this Virtual Machine is use and since all User Data is/was saved to the Mac doing it this way made for a faster and easier recovery then dealing with 14 Snapshots! Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Needful
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

See attached....

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Wow! Unbelievable! 14 Stapshots, most of which are AutoProtect Snapshots (AutoDestruct is a more appropriate name)!  To make matters worse they are not linear and jump all over the place. :smileyshocked:

Okay I've taken a cursory look and would need to examine this in more detail however I just do not have the time at the moment due to the state of this VM.  While it appears that the "Disk DescriptorFile" .vmdk for each Snapshot and the Parent Disk look okay I didn't (yet) validate the CID's (Chain Identifiers) to make sure there was no issue there.  I did take a quick count of the Entents (the "twoGbMaxExtentSparse" binary segments of the Virtual Hard Disk) for each and the count appears to be correct.  So where the issue could/may be, assuming the CID's are okay, is in one (or more) of the Entents.

If you live in the US and would like to talk on the phone about what your options are then you can send me your phone number in a Private Message.

Do you have a current proper* backup of the Virtual Machine Package?

==========

* It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just to update this, for others reading this thread, for more completeness... Working on this via TeamViewer I created a new Virtual Machine from the Base Disk since all User Data is/was saved to the Mac and all necessary Windows Apps were install on the Base Disk before all the Snapshots were taken.  Windows updates are now being done and will then make a proper backup for recovery after the updates.  Fortunately because of how this Virtual Machine is use and since all User Data is/was saved to the Mac doing it this way made for a faster and easier recovery then dealing with 14 Snapshots! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Needful
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Amazing the time you spent to help me resolve my problem and get back up and working!  I appreciate it soo much and was educated in the meantime!Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
dbellaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodyZ,

I think I have a similar problem.  Running MacBook Pro 2.4GHZ, 8GB, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63), Fusion 4.1.4.  Windows XP pro.  Have run Fusion since mid-2010 on this MAC (when new)

Problem: Yesterday, recieved message about updating from Fusion 4.1.3 to 4.1.4 and clicked on it.  Seemed to install fine (up to that point has run well starting with Fusion 3 and upgrading to Fusion 4).  I did not perform a backup or snapshot (I know foolish) before installing update to 4.1.4.

First time or two I attempted to start the VM it would freeze for short while then slowly catch-up with requested commands (mouse clicks).  Tried to open Outlook, but it failed and then wanted to go into safe mode. Now when the VM starts will freeze as soon as any request (mouse click on icon) is attempted.  Will let me  shutdown using the option in the Virtual Machine menu.

1) any ideas on what might be causing it?

2) is there a way to downgrade to 4.1.3 without a clean install?

2) can I recover my Outlook.pst file from the Mac side?

3) If I have to wipe out and resinstall the VM will the Outlook.pst be preserved?

I ran the commands you mentioned in the post and have attached the .tgz file.

Thanks,

Doug

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The attached "Windows_XP_Professional.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed, unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_XP_Professional.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file with the one here.

=====

1) any ideas on what might be causing it?

Don't have time at the moment to look.

2) is there a way to downgrade to 4.1.3 without a clean install?

Yes, just uninstall VMware Fusion and then download the version you want and install it.  Note that uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not remove your Virtual Machines.

3) can I recover my Outlook.pst file from the Mac side?

Yes there are different ways.  Will have to get back to you, don't have time at the moment.

4) If I have to wipe out and resinstall the VM will the Outlook.pst be preserved?

If the Outlook.pst file resides on the Guest OSes Filesystem and you wiped out the Virtual Machine then No! it would not be preserved unless you take steps to ensure you have it properly* backed up.

==========

*  It is a known fact that Time Machine is not 100% reliable backing up/restoring Virtual Machines under all circumstances/conditions.  Also backing up Virtual Machines via Time Machine is disk/time intensive and wastes a tremendous amount of space for something that may be corrupt and worthless come time to restore it.  At a minimum I would exclude Virtual Machines from Time Machine and with the Virtual Machines shutdown, not suspended, and VMware Fusion closed then manually copy the Virtual Machines Package(s) to an alternate location, preferably on to a different physical hard disk.  Then keep the User Data that is stored within the Virtual Machine backed up off of the Virtual Machine on a regular basis so as to always have a current User Data Backup.  If you have to restore a properly backed up Virtual Machine that is not as current at least you'll have a working Virtual Machine and current User Data to go forward with when you find out your Time Machine Backup of the Virtual Machine fails.

0 Kudos
dbellaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

WoodZ,

I was able to uninstall Fusion and reinstall from my original CD. After installing, the software required me to update to 4.1.4 again. The same symptoms were present (freezing) but after reading some of the other postings about it being temporary (i.e. 20-30 seconds then restarting) I decided to try working my way to my Outlook.pst file. It took several hours of clicking on a folder to open, waiting for minutes, clicking on the next level in the file structure and finally go to the Outlook file. About that time a Windows pop-up box showed up indicating VMWare tools was being installed - this took several minutes and after that completed everything went back to normal speed. I backed-up the Outlook.pst file, rebooted the system (VM) and now everything seems to be running fine.

Thanks for your response and if there is something else you can recommend, let me know.

Regards,

Doug

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was able to uninstall Fusion and reinstall from my original CD.  After installing, the software required me to update to 4.1.4 again.

First of all AFAIK VMware doesn't force install updates, the user has a choice and can decline.  Additionally one can turn off all phone home type options in VMware Fusion Preferences and this is the fist thing I do when installing any app! Smiley Wink

Additionally there is absolutely no need to install from the original CD unless one wants the specific version on that disc and I told you that you could download the version you want directly from VMware.  Every release version, major and minor, has the full installer and the light installer available for download and it does not need a previous version installed.  I never ever use the built in updater and don't have time to get into why.

The same symptoms were present (freezing) but after reading some of the other postings about it being temporary (i.e. 20-30 seconds then restarting) I decided to try working my way to my Outlook.pst file.  It took several hours of clicking on a folder to open, waiting for minutes, clicking on the next level in the file structure and finally go to the Outlook file.  About that time a Windows pop-up box showed up indicating VMWare tools was being installed - this took several minutes and after that completed everything went back to normal speed.  I backed-up the Outlook.pst file, rebooted the system (VM) and now everything seems to be running fine.

Since I never allow VMware Tools to automatically install/update I never have the performance type issues you described and may it was just VMware Tools trying to automatically update in the first place that was causing issues.

Anyway, glad you're up and running now and don't forget to maintain proper backups of both the Virtual Machines and your User Data, especially the Outlook.pst file! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
dbellaz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, forced may not have been the appropriate choice of words and yes, you did indicate downloading.

Once I had restored from my CD and attempted to start the VM, I received three separate errors (they did not come up at the same time, but once I clicked "ok" the next one would show up) that only gave me the option to click "ok" and would not open the VM. When I checked for updates (through the Fusion menu, only 4.1.4 was shown). The errors were:

• Unable to retrieve kernel zone sizes

• Failed to initialize monitor device

• Cannot find peer process to connect to

I am not that saavy with changing the settings (and do not necessary know which ones to change) - the messages are not always the most intuitive.

Thanks for the help and direction - will implement a regular backup routine Smiley Happy

Doug

0 Kudos