VMware Communities
jasperx20111014
Contributor
Contributor

The application failed to initialize

Host is 17" MacBook Pro i& 2.2 GHz running Lion 10.7.1.

VMWare Version 3.1.3 (416484)

Win 7 successfulling installed in Bootcamp with VMware pointing to it.

Migrate PC failed in multiple attempts to bring in XP Media edition.

XP Pro Machine created using  the Converter app (VMware vCenter Converter Standalone version 7.6.0.8933) gives following error when I attempt to boot it:

userinit.exe DLL Initialization Failed

The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down.

Windows XP then shuts down.

I have quit VMware and rebooted the host.

Booting the XP Pro machine produces the identical error message.

I did find the pdf "Migrating a Windows PC to Run in VMware" to have instructions which did not match the options as I went through the process for instance it was not possible to select Workstation 6.x,VMware Fusion 1.x as the destination virtual machine.  I could select Workstation 6.x OR I could choose VMware Fusion 1.x.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jasperx20111014
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting that 60 plus views of this and no comments back.  I am going to speculate on the cause of the failure of the virtual machine to import.  My hunch is that it has something to do with my old XP setup being on a computer from Frys and that it's version of Windows was OEM.  The OEM license seems like it makes using it on a virtual machine on a Mac out of bounds and they may have made it impossible to use. It was not intentional on my part to violate the OEM but it was a waste of several hours figuring out what the problem was.  Maybe a warning on the front end of the import process could save some grief?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to Fusion forum.

0 Kudos