VMware Communities
CoolHand18
Contributor
Contributor

The Old Republic Not Working in Fusion 5

Had Star Wars The Old Republic working in Fusion 4 (utlizing an older version of tools), but after upgrading to v5 the game fails to launch (can hear music playing in the background, but nothing loads on the screen). Pretty disappointed that I upgraded to the newest version for the better graphics performance and now can no longer play. Is there any work around for this or are there any plans to actually get SWtOR working in VMware?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
magills
Contributor
Contributor

You have the same issue as me, but with a different game. I tried running a World of Tanks match. I get sound and no screen images now, just flashing colors. See my post from yesterday:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2103834#2103834

When I played Old Repuplic in the distant past, I had this happen to me with a fusion upgrade (just remembereed this now). It was fixed eventually.

I know this doesn't help you for now, but it's good to know the issue isn't isolated to me.

CoolHand18
Contributor
Contributor

Yea that's exactly whats happening to me, good to know its not uncommon. Hopefully they fix it soon...

0 Kudos
CoolHand18
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates to this yet?

0 Kudos
magills
Contributor
Contributor

I'm hoping to hear an update too...any plans for a patch?

I've moved to using Bootcamp for now. I'm not sure I'll go back now to be honest. I can just use Fusion with Bootcamp when I need access to both OSs simultaneously. Bootcamp gives better game performance in any case since you are running Windows natively on the Mac as opposed to a VM.

0 Kudos
CoolHand18
Contributor
Contributor

Yea I'm pretty annoyed that I paid the money to upgrade to the newer version only to have programs which were working fine cease to function. Also annoyed that we've yet to hear any type of response to this. Bootcamp is not an option for me, I might just switch over to parallels, but am reluctant to spend even more money.

0 Kudos
shoes44
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.  Any updates from anyone?

0 Kudos
magills
Contributor
Contributor

I'll suggest Apple's Bootcamp again. For gamers, this is a MUCH BETTER way to play. Your performance improves significantly since you are running Windows natively on your Mac machine. At this point, I'm not sure why you wouldn't use it for all your Windows software needs because of the improvements there too. And, if you want to run Bootcamp simultaneously with your Mac OS, you can do that using VMware. You simply identify the Bootcamp partition to VMware (they have a very easy setup for this in the software - and they promote it too!) and you can then run the Windows instance at the same time.

Honestly, this configuration is so much better, in terms of performance and flexibility, than running Windows through a virtual machine because you get the added option to run Windows natively on your Mac.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And the flip side - it makes backups more complicated, and you lose the ability to encrypt information stored in windows.  You also can't suspend a bootcamp VM, and may end up having some software activation challenges.

0 Kudos
magills
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to help people use VMware and Bootcamp in a way that will improve their gaming over running on a VMware only configuration. I'm not sure about the issues with software activation, suspending, and backup to which you refer. I don't have any of those issues in my configuration. I do have excellent game performance, far better than I do if I try to run graphic intensive games through a VM. I've even talked to their support about this; they don't deny this is a better solution. You want your hardware fully dedicated to the game and not running multiple instances of various OSs. VMware is not meant to be used in this way. I run Windows alone through Bootcamp when I want to game. I run Windows through a VMware-managed instance of Bootcamp when I need access to it while running my Mac OS. It's very satisfying. And I feel sorry for people that continue to try and play these types of games through a VM.

As for backup and software activation, everything works very well for me. I can discuss how I do it if anyone cares (backup, in some ways, is even easier for me using Bootcamp with VMware); but this is probably a debate to take place in another thread.

I have a lot of versatility for my needs....and I don't have the frustration of poor game performance and bugs getting introduced everytime VMware comes out with a minor/major upgrade.

It took me awhile to figure out how to solve this issue...I finally wised up by reading other Internet-posted solutions. I'm just sharing...

0 Kudos