VMware Communities
pbgalvin
Contributor
Contributor

The Mac "delete" key in Outlook 2010 doing odd things

Hi, quick, odd question.

Fusion 3.1.3 on Mac OS 10.6.8, MacBook Pro, Windows 7, Outlook 2010

The "delete key", aka control-h, seems to work fine, except in outlook 2010. There, when I press it, I expect the current message to be deleted. But rather it seems to switch me between mail boxes.  The "delete" icon on the screen does delete the message, as does fn-delete (which send the actual delete ascii character).  I restarted outlook and restarted vmware fusion thinking it might be a state-specific issue but I still have the same problem.  I just started using outlook in fusion so this might be a new problem, a problem with my installation, or some such.

Any thoughts appreciated!

--Peter

0 Kudos
3 Replies
gbullman
Expert
Expert

I have the same behavior on a MacBook Pro, Mac OS 10.6.8, Fusion 3.1.3, Windows 7, Office 2007.

To best of my knowledge the key labeled delete on a Mac is really more of a Backspace key which apparently moves between folders within Outlook (or the Back button in a Web Browser).

I think you would need to change key mapping within Outlook to change this without messing up other uses of the Backspace key by other programs.

Based on what I'm seeing, this is normal behavior so there likely nothing wrong with your setup.  Not necessarily desired, but normal.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

fn-delete does what you're looking for.

0 Kudos
pbgalvin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the ideas.

The same key - delete, does the right things in the other apps. It deletes the character to the left of the cursor.

On a "geniune" windows system the same key that does that also deletes the currently select email message. Why doesn't it do the same thing in Fusion?

I know fn-delete will delete (in the opposite direction) but I don't want to have to hit 2 keys when 1 key should do it!

--Peter

0 Kudos