VMware Communities
waben
Contributor
Contributor

The End of the World! VM Fusion Fails!

I downloaded VMware's Fusion. No problem. I installed it. No problem. I imported my version of Windows XP Home Edition. No problem. I used it through the day, importing a Windows application and using it with ease. I thought, "This is unbelievable. It is far more efficient and useable than Parallels or Boot Camp. I did not need 26 pages of instructions to put it on. I installed everything, including Windows in 45 minutes.

Then the world ended. One of my PC friends came over to put an application on my Virtual Machine. I opened up the Library and my Windows and Fusion were GONE! Yes, they were GONE! VM still opened, but nothing was in the Library. Yet, it still seems to be using up my hard drive space. What made my VM virtual machine disappear, never to show its head again??????????? Is this going to happen to me over and over? If so, I think I will pass.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The most likely reason for a VM disappearing from the library is someone (perhaps your friend) selecting it and pressing delete. You can put it back by locating it in the Finder and drag-and-dropping it to the Library.

0 Kudos
waben
Contributor
Contributor

Can you tell me how I can find this file? I have not had any luck doing so.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If what you're actually trying to say with the main thrust of the second paragraph in your post is...

When I open VMware Fusion there are no Virtual Machines listed on the Virtual Machine Library window yet despite that the amount of hard drive space available hasn't changed, blah, blah, blah...

If that is an accurate translation then it sounds like you should be able to locate the Virtual Machines and then either drag & drop the Virtual Machine Bundle Package onto the Virtual Machine Library window to repopulate the list or use the File > Open... command and navigate to where you have the Virtual Machines stored etc.

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP".

If they are not in the default location then try using Spotlight to find them using ".vmwarevm" (without the quotes) to locate the Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
waben
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Woody. It is probably my fault then. I remember dumping my documents folder recently. There are no files like you mention anywhere. I would have expected that VM Fusion would have its own folder for Virtual Machines. It is a little lesson I have learned. Thanks much.

0 Kudos