VMware Communities
NeoXY
Contributor
Contributor

The Disappearing Drive icon

Hi All

Recently got VMware running on my Boot Camp Partition (after Parallel refusing to start at all :P) and everything is good and fine. However, I am noticing a little "bug" or problem and I was wondering if all you fine folks out there can shed some light on.

When I run VMware, things work fine in Windows (all the functions and such) and I have all the proper functions, the problem is, as soon as virtual machine for Windows start running, my Windows Partition drive on my desktop would just disappear! The disappearance doesn't affect the virtual machine or actual boot camp it self, as soon as I restart, the drive would come back. But it really is an announce after using VMware, an icon on my desktop would randomly go missing. Obviously this is not a life or death situation, but if someone have a quick fix for this, I'd appreciate it

Thanks a Million

Neo

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is actually expected - my understanding is that in order to get the low-level access we need, we have to unmount the partition while Fusion is using it. This also avoids the possibility of two or more processes in different OSes stepping on each others toes.

There's a known issue that after Fusion is done with the drive (e.g. when the virtual machine shuts down) the partition isn't remounted until a reboot; you can manually remount the partition with Disk Utility.

NeoXY
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, helpful information

But the reason I asked this question was because when I used Fusion before, the drive did not go away. Therefore, I was under the assumption that I might have messed with something to have created this bug.

Can anyone explain why that is? (Or am I just terribly delusional?)

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It will only happen if you are running a Bootcamp VM. If you were previously running a different VM the drive icon would not have gone away.

0 Kudos