VMware Communities
Celica96
Contributor
Contributor

The Digital Audio (S/PDIF) output LED is always on after installing VMware

I have a MacBook Pro and I am testing the VMware Fusion software for virtualization but I have found a persistent problem with the built-in audio driver...

The Digital Audio (S/PDIF) output LED is always on after installing VMWare Fusion. I have uninstalled the software but the problem persists. That means that NOW I have only digital output...there is no way no get analogical line-out and that means I cannot reproduce sound thru my mac.

This problem was present in previos version of Mac Boot Camp, but only when Windows was started (remember the dual boot). If you shut down Windows and start up again in OS X, the digital audio output becomes normal behaviour.

Please, anybody can help me with this issue?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We don't do anything magical with the Mac OS sound device. If I remember correctly, we use the Mac OS OpenAL framework for our sound emulation.

Does the problem happen even if you never connect the host audio device to any VM?

In any case, please file a bug. Provide details on the sound device and sound device driver in your MacBook Pro.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

This sounds usually like a hardware or firmware issue. Try resetting your MBP's PRAM/NVRAM and see if this problem clears up.

0 Kudos