VMware Communities
Vitto2704
Contributor
Contributor

TROUBLE WITH USB PORTS

Hi all,

I've installed VMWare Fusion on a MAcBook Air 11" med-2013 running MAcOS11.6.5 (Big Sur) and I'm experiencing problems with USB devices in the VirtualMAchine running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I'm not able to make VirtualMAchine to identify and connect to any USB device other than mouse. I tried with some Flash Drive, Nikon Camera, but when I attache the device, nothing happens. 

As exemple, on a Windows PC running Win 7 when I connect the camera, the drivers are loaded automatically and an app to transfer pictures starts. On virtual machine nothing happens. More, if I connect a flash drive when VirtualMachine is running, it only flashes few times than nothing happens.

Don't know where look for to find a solution to this problem (I'm not expert in computers, less than all in Windows systems); I installed Fusion because eI need to run a couple of apps but they requires specific USB devices to be connected.

Any help is appreciated

Vittorio

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vitto2704
Contributor
Contributor

In order to better clarify, I see the connected devices in the VirtualMachine USB & Bluetooth settings window (under Connect USB devices), but this is all. No shown elsewhere (folders, desktop, window, etc.). No driver loaded, not usable.

0 Kudos
Vitto2704
Contributor
Contributor

Additional info: in Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device and printers I see a Universal Serial Bus with an exclamation mark. Troubleshooting it, I get a message that the "driver for the universal USB controller is not installe"; trying to fix, no solution is found.

How can I install the missing driver?

P.S.: sorry for the mess I made in previous posts

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The thread is now showing as solved, you seem to have marked your first reply as the solution, you can un-mark it as the solution from the menu (shown as 3 dots) to the right of the comment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Vitto2704
Contributor
Contributor

I got my D3200 camera working by downgrading USB version from 3.1 to 2.0.

Also Flash drive are now recognised and installed

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What you are seeing is not surprising behavior for a Windows 7 VM.  Windows 7 does not have a native USB 3 driver, so it will complain when it sees a USB 3 controller (physical or virtual). Hence the need to set the compatibility to USB 2 for a Windows 7 VM, or install a USB 3 driver. 

See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2128105 for more details and a pointer to an Intel USB 3 driver should you want to enable USB 3 for your Windows 7 VM.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos