VMware Communities
johjane
Contributor
Contributor

Syntax Error when running my VMware Fusion

Im not sure why I am getting the following error:

File "/Users/johjane/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmx" line 63: Syntax error.

This happens when I try to run my Windows XP Professional through VM Ware Fusion. I am using a MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo proc. I installed the new version VMWare Fusion 1.1.1-72241, and the error still occurs after update installation.

Also, i tried restarting my computer and problem still persists.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
63 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
a vmx-file is a plain text-file - attach it as such.

I am in no way interested to download password protected zip-files :smileycry:  just to delete them again because I don't know the password.

0 Kudos
RichRuf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry.  Attached again. I didn't choose to have it be a .zip attachment.  I got it from my desktop, where it  was a .vmx file.

0 Kudos
RichRuf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't understand why the posting process is making the attachment a .zip file.  That didn't happen with the attachments I used with the original post.  The message composition form identified the file attachment name without a .zip suffix.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

wow - that would be a bizar behaviour and something that we should report as bug of the new forum
Can you please try again ?

try to attach the vmx-file as it is

I attached a vmx-file myself - ignore it - its just a test

0 Kudos
RichRuf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Trying again.  At the bottom of this window is the file NCAL-Xp.vmx.   No .zip is shown there in the file name.

I just sent an email from my google mail account to my domain account and it came through clean. Something about the new Communities system must be different than it was last week.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

My apologies please
it was not your fault - this new forum obscures the attachements for no reason ...

anyway - I looked at the vmx you have again - you have not defined something twice - good.
I guess you have lck-files or directories or maybe some permissions are not correct.
Please check that first

0 Kudos
distanton
Contributor
Contributor

I get this error.

"/Users/dstanton/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

Attached is the VMX file

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

distanton wrote: I get this error.

"/Users/dstanton/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7.vmx" is not a valid virtual machine configuration file

Attached is the VMX file

1. There is no file attached.

2. It is better to archive and attach the vmware.log files so a new .vmx can be created from the .log file.

3.  If you don't know how to archive and attach the vmware.log files then...

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
distanton
Contributor
Contributor

File is attached.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached "Windows_7.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows 7.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_7.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows 7.vmx" file with the one here.

0 Kudos
distanton
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
roderick77
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Today i had to force my imac to shut down, now i get the error:

File "/Volumes/MacEXTERN2TB/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7.vmx" line 1: Syntax error.

Ho can i solve this? thanks for any help on this

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Today i had to force my imac to shut down, now i get the error:

File "/Volumes/MacEXTERN2TB/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7.vmx" line 1: Syntax error.

Ho can i solve this? thanks for any help on this

Archive (compress) and attach the vmware.log files (usually 4 of them) from within the "/Volumes/MacEXTERN2TB/Windows 7.vmwarevm" Package and I'll create a new one for you.

0 Kudos
roderick77
Contributor
Contributor

How do i optain these files, i dont know where to find them..

In /Volumes/MacEXTERN2TB/Windows 7, these is only a file called Windows 7 nothing else...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
roderick77
Contributor
Contributor

I dont get that line at all, check my screenshot

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

roderick77 wrote: I dont get that line at all, check my screenshot

Either reread the directions in Work with Virtual Machine Packages or...

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
roderick77
Contributor
Contributor

I got it Smiley Happy

Here is the file, there are two windows 7 running, the one with the error is Windows 7

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

roderick77 wrote:

I got it Smiley Happy

Here is the file, there are two windows 7 running, the one with the error is Windows 7

The attached "Windows_7.vmx.zip" file contains a new "Windows 7.vmx" file created from the supplied vmware.log file.

With VMware Fusion closed unzip (double-click) the attached "Windows_7.vmx.zip" file and replace the original "Windows 7.vmx" file with the one here.

Note: The one to replace is: "/Volumes/MacEXTERN2TB/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7.vmx"

0 Kudos
roderick77
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much, its works great!

0 Kudos