VMware Communities
johjane
Contributor
Contributor

Syntax Error when running my VMware Fusion

Im not sure why I am getting the following error:

File "/Users/johjane/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmx" line 63: Syntax error.

This happens when I try to run my Windows XP Professional through VM Ware Fusion. I am using a MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo proc. I installed the new version VMWare Fusion 1.1.1-72241, and the error still occurs after update installation.

Also, i tried restarting my computer and problem still persists.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

0 Kudos
63 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

This problem occurs sometimes if you had to force-power off your machine. If you open Documents > Virtual Machines. You can ctrl-click on the Windows XP icon bringing up "Show package contents" when the contents window opens, archive the ..vmx file and attach it to your reply so we can inspect it here. You can also inspect it with TextEdit.

0 Kudos
Mpambika
Contributor
Contributor

I experiance similar problem when I try to run windows xp off VMware fusion 1.1. It run okay a couple of times after installation. Now when I click run on virtual machine i get the following message 'File "/Users/Mpambika/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmx" line 1: Syntax error".

I have attached here the vmx file. Please help.

Regards,

William

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Your attached Windows XP Professional.vmx file is corrupt beyond repair and you can use the vmxRecover.pl.zip file attached to the following post to create a new .vmx form the vmware.log file.

Or just upload your vmware.log file that is in target Virtual Machine Package and one of us will create a new one for you.

0 Kudos
Mpambika
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ for your response. Following your advice, I created a vmx file from the log. I was able to get the Virtual Machine running again. I have attached it here for your quick look if you don't mind.

I appreciate it.

William

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The first line in the file "#!/opt/vmware/bin/vmware" should not need to be there although I don't think it will hurt... otherwise it looks normal for a Fusion 1.x configuration file.

0 Kudos
nickeado
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have a problem like the others who have left their messages.

Wmware My problem is when you start the computer running, I get this error: 😧 \ Windows XP Professional.vmx "line 46: Syntax error

So you do not let me start windows xp in Wmware, I leave my windows xp professional attached to this message, I'm using a google translator, I hope you understand what I write, and I hope you can help me please .. thanks

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi nickeado,

Looks like you're having an issue with Workstation.

This is the Fusion forum, so your question will fall on the wrong ears.

You'll have better luck asking here:

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/workstation

Cheers 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
dhansonmn
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the following error when trying to start a WinXP image in vmfusion after a forced shutdown of my MAC OS 10.6 system:

File "/Users/Darrin/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmx" line 1: Syntax error

I'm not understanding the process of running the perl script that was created and would like to know if/how the vmx syntax error above can be fixed.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not understanding the process of running the perl script that was created and would like to know if/how the vmx syntax error above can be fixed.

Then, at a minimum at least, attach a copy of the virtual machine's .vmx configuration file.

It would also be helpful to archive and attach the vmware.log files, (usually 4 of them), as well.

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
Fantm69
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same error, for my file.

File "G:\RESPALDO DISCO DURO\Mi PC\Mi PC.vmx" line 1: Syntax error.

Could you help me, please

I´m attaching my vmx file

thanks in advance

JC

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The attached "Mi PC.vmx" is not an actual .vmx file in that it is totally corrupt and nothing can be done with it however i you archive and attach the vmware.log files (usually 4 of them) then we should be able to create a new .vmx configuration file.

0 Kudos
Nkuks01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi please help me also, I am running 10.6.4 with vmware fusion 3.0 and getting the same error. I have attached my vmx file.

File "/Users/nnondzaba/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows 7.vmwarevm/Windows 7.vmx" line 1: Syntax

error".

i have also attached my log files..

tx

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Nkuks01 the attached Windows 7.vmx file was created from the vmware.log file you provided.

0 Kudos
Nkuks01
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Woodyz it worked, but i had alreaded created another VM on the same box then copied the vmdk file of the new VM and replaced the old with the new one and it worked.

Tx Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RichRuf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same Syntax error with V 2.0.8. Can the snapshots be used in some way to recover from the error? My .vmx file and log files are attached. Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the vmx you attached is corrupt - find attached a version extracted from your log-file vmware-1.log

You still have to rename it

I used the tool log2vmx.exe - you can download it from my site

http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1116

By the way - I see you use Autoprotect ... so I better wish you good luck

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
RichRuf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Before I could use your information, the community site became unavailable.

I used the file you attached and modified it to fit into my file system. Then I reinstalled tha V2.0.8 system and when I ran it, I got the error message attached.

Looking through the updated NCAL-Xp.vmx file i used from your sickbayout.vmx file, I noticed that there were two places where this .vmdk file was used.  I changed the callout from xxx00006 to xxx00007 and got it to run.  It wasn't the setup that was in place before the crash, but it was from a few days earlier.  I'm satisfied with the results.

Is there some reason for your comment about Autoprotect?   Why would someone not use it.  Did it help me recover from the crash?  Also, is there any tutorial information about the structure and code used in the .vmx and .log files.

Many thanks againSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

that error message looks as if you either still have lock-files or directories - or like the vmx-file uses one snapshot-chain twice.
Lets see your edited version

Why I recommend not to use Autoprotect ?

Thats easy -
best practice with snapshots is not to use any.
If you have a good reason to create a snapshot you should do it when it makes most sense.

Autoprotect is worst practice:
- it does not check if you have enough free diskspace
- it does not ask you if you want to take the snapshot now - so it may interrupt you in the middle of a critical action
(we had complaints from users doing a presentation with one of their VMs - then autoprotect cuts in and the next 5 minutes nothing was possible - guess what those users think about that great new feature now ... )
- it hides the snapshots in snapshotmanager which is very very stupid and dangerous.

- it uses a completely missguiding label.

Autoprotect suggests that everything is fine once you enabled it.
But exactly the opposite is true.
Once you enabled autoprotect you must carefully monitor your VM as it may fill up the disk at any time.

I believe autoprotect came to live like this:

marketing to engineers: give us a new sexy feature tomorrow. Must be something that everyone wants ...
engineers to engineers : damn - we have nothing - and not until tomorrow ....

not willing to admit that they have nothing like that someone came up with the idea to re-use something that already existed

engineers to marketing: we have nothing - but we can make a timer for snapshots until tomorrow - but we don't like the idea as it is dangerous
marketing to engineers : we don't care - lets give it a sexy name now ...

0 Kudos
RichRuf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Attached is the edited version.  I see that since I got it to run successfully, the xxx000#.vmdk has gone up to 0008.vmdk.  I wonder why?

Do you have any suggestions for backing up the entire virtual machine so that it would be easier to recover from a crash?

0 Kudos