VMware Communities
bagpiper2005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Switching to VMWare Fusion From Parallels

I'm currently running Vista on a Parallels virtual machine. My concern is since I've already activated Windows with the product key, will I need to buy a different product key or will the same one be able to be used? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try it. It may work.

If it doesn't, and you've discontinued using it under Parallels, just call the 800 number Microsoft provides, explain your situation, and they will assist you with a new activation over the phone. It isn't fun, but it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try it. It may work.

If it doesn't, and you've discontinued using it under Parallels, just call the 800 number Microsoft provides, explain your situation, and they will assist you with a new activation over the phone. It isn't fun, but it works.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If your Windows OS forced Windows Product Activation (WPA) when you installed it in Parallels then you will absolutely have to re-activate WPA when you migrate to Fusion. When your prompted to Activate you need to make sure that VMware Tools are installed and the amount of Memory is what you want to have. If WPA cannot process automatically via an Internet Connection you will have to call Microsoft to re-activate.

esarchitects
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am trying to convert parallels to VMWARE Fusion and it doesn't work, I have leopard, vista on parallels desktop 3.0 when I use importer in about 75% of work receive screen with: "VMware Importer is unable to prepare your visrtual machine to run under VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
bagpiper2005
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had to do the phone activation. At least I didn't have to buy another product key whew

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Per , please include /Users/yournamehere/Library/Logs/VMware Importer/import.log and /Users/yournamehere/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Helper/naos-1.0.vmwarevm/vmware.log

0 Kudos
esarchitects
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Etung, I'll send the log files but I am trying one more time because I discovered that my demo version was expired so maybe that's why importer at some point couldn't finish, I discovered that when I wanted to install in the classic way and I couldn't start VMware because the license was expired, I did buy the software and let's see I am right now about 50% so let's see unless you think it doesn't matter if the license is valid or expired for importer

0 Kudos