VMware Communities
weshamilton
Contributor
Contributor

Switching computers and upgrading

I am currently running Fusion v1.x. I would like to switch to a new  (different computer). Not sure how to do this. Should I install the original disc and then upgrade and is it possible to transfer the windows files to the new computer? Thanks for any help offerred.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Whatever version you decide to use just downloaded the latest directly from VMware's web site and install it as you do not need to install an earlier version and then upgrade.  Download VMware Fusion

As far as the Virtual Machine go make sure you shutdown from within the Guest OS, not suspend and close VMware Fusion before copying/moving it.  You can migrate it along with your other documents, picture, music, etc. to the new computer.

0 Kudos
weshamilton
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure I fully understand. Don't I have register a downloaded version before I upgrade it? Do I use the code from the former version? How do I migrate from one to the other computer? Sorry for being so slow. Thanks for future response. Wes

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You can download any VMware Fusion installer .dmg directly from VMware's web site from the link I previously provided however you do have to have a valid Serial Number for that version and a separate valid Serial Number for each copy of VMware Fusion you use on each computer if using it on more then one computer.

Since you are currently using Fusion v1.x the Serial Number for it will also work in VMware Fusion 2.x and if you're only going to run it on the new computer and remove it from the old computer then you do not need to purchase an addition Serial Number.

If the new computer has or you are going to install Mac OS X Lion then you will need to use VMware Fusion 3.1.3 (or higher when available) and also purchase a VMware Fusion 3 Serial Number or wait until the next major version VMware Fusion 4 is released.

As far as copying/moving files you can either use Migration Assistant or any other normal method to copy/move files between computers.

0 Kudos