VMware Communities
RustysDad
Contributor
Contributor

Suspend gets stuck in Fusion 8.1

On a Macbook Pro running El Capitan, I am running fusion 8.1, with a Windows 7 guest.

Just now, I wanted to retart my Mac:

• So I tried to  close Fusion, which automatically suspended the VW. This is the right thing to do, of course. The Windows 7 VM was in sleep mode, which I wouldn't expect to matter.
  • The suspend just keeps running without finishing, although I can see in the Activity Monitor, that vmware-vmx is using about 400% of memory.

I work in this VM all day, every day and it always works perfectly ... up til now.

Can I just kill Fusion and hope that the VM will work properly after I restart my mac and start up Fusion? I don't know if I have any options, since I have been waiting for an hour, hoping that the suspend will overcome any timeouts and exit.

thanks for any help,

Peter

2 Replies
RustysDad
Contributor
Contributor

Hello to anyone who reads this,

I couldn't think of any magic way to handle this. All the power options were grayed out.

While holding my breath, I killed the vmware-vmx process, which then allowed me to exit fusion through the menu.

After restarting the Mac, Fusion came up and I could start the VM. As windows does, it noted that it had stopped unexpectedly last time. I told it to start normally and it came up, working fine. Needless to say, I have lost the state that it was in, with the running processes, but that is a non-issue.

Conclusion: while I couldn't force suspend to finish normally, killing Fusion worked and all is ok.

thanks, help this is helpful to others.

Peter

IlDavo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you, RustysDad, for sharing what worked for you.

I'm about to face the same task, as my VMware Fusion guest VM is stuck in "Suspending..." mode, and VMware Fusion Menu Bar options that would otherwise allow me to shut the machine down, or even force power off (by holding down the "Option" or "Alt" key) are all greyed out, thus providing no supported way to stop the guest VM.

This is unfortunate, as I've a second guest VM, running under the same Fusion instance, that will almost certainly lose integrity when it, too, ceases to run as a result of my having to kill the vmware-vmx process.

0 Kudos