VMware Communities
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Suspend/Resume scripts not executing on Vista 64 guest

This happened with 2.0 and is still happening with 2.0.1. The VMWare tools are up to date. I have added a custom suspend script that as well as renewing the IP (from suspend-vm-default.bat, it does the following to lock the workstation:

rundll32 user32,LockWorkStation

This works fine in my XP (32-bit) guest but I haven't get it working on my 64-bit guest. If I execute the script manually it works, but it isn't executed when suspending the VM, nor if I put the command in a resume script.

Is this a problem with the 64-bit tools?

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

Try uninstalling VMware Tools and delete the vmware folder from c:\program files and reinstall the tool and check you can execute your script on Suspend event

0 Kudos
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try uninstalling VMware Tools and delete the vmware folder from c:\program files and reinstall the tool and check you can execute your script on Suspend event

I've tried this, but still no luck. I don't think its a tools installation issue as I have 2 separate installs of Vista64 and 2 of XP-32. On both XP VMs, the script executes and the screen locks itself when I use the Virtual Machine | Suspend Guest menu item. On both Vista 64 installs, neither do.

Thanks

Russell

0 Kudos
mash
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here ...

In fact the script executes (tested it with a sleep command), but is not able to lock the screen.

I believe that this happens because the script isn't executed on the interactive desktop as this is a requirement for LockWorkStation. Thus, it's not a 64bit problem but a Vista problem.

Is there any workaround for that?

0 Kudos