VMware Communities
bstein
Contributor
Contributor

Suspend Guest causes an infinite loop

Beginning with 2.0 RC1 and continuing with 2.0 final, attempting to "Suspend Guest" on a Bootcamp XP SP3, my password is requested but I cannot type or click anything because it appears that VMware goes into an inifinite loop at this point, a loop which cannot be exited with Cmd-Opt (or Alt)-Esc, only by a hard power off. This behavior was not present in 2.0 B1 or B2 (and I'm considering reverting to B2!). I have updated VMware Tools as necessary and have been running the latest OS X revision on a Core 2 MacBook Pro.

Here's the tail of a vmware log file (all this powering off has caused a few to be created):

Sep 17 19:25:25.355: vmx| TOOLS sending 'OS_Suspend' (5) state change request

Sep 17 19:25:26.102: vcpu-1| TOOLS state change 5 returned status 1

Sep 17 19:25:26.103: vcpu-1| CPT current = 0, requesting 1

Sep 17 19:25:26.103: vcpu-0| Sync monModules(1).

Sep 17 19:25:26.103: vcpu-0| Done Sync monModules(1).

Sep 17 19:25:26.103: vcpu-1| Sync monModules(1).

Sep 17 19:25:26.103: vcpu-1| Done Sync monModules(1).

Sep 17 19:25:26.103: vmx| CPT: monitor ACKing mode 1

Sep 17 19:25:26.103: vmx| DEVCREAT: Found a device: /dev/disk0s4

Sep 17 19:25:26.105: vmx| DISKLIB-DEVCRM:Whole device name for /dev/disk0s4 is /dev/disk0.

Sep 17 19:25:26.105: vmx| AIOGNRC: Failed to open '/dev/disk0' : Insufficient permissions to access the file (115) (0x1).

One time, suspending this guest worked properly with 2.0 final, but that's it. And I hesitate to test too much more because I've already started to experience file corruption because of having to power off!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You're not supposed to be suspending a Boot Camp virtual machine, and the default setup won't let you do this. It's not supported and QA doesn't test it.

Having gotten that out of the way, I would try deleting the Boot Camp virtual machine and letting Fusion recreate it in case some of the permissions are messed up. Also, have you tried the ungrab shortcut (ctrl-cmd)?

0 Kudos
bstein
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the idea. Now, that's interesting because it worked perfectly in at least 1.1.x, 2.0 B1, and 2.0 B2. I'm dumbfounded at this. So, if the default setup of 2.0 final won't allow it, how can I enable it?

But if I can't enable suspending a Boot Camp VM, may I download Beta 2? (My old backup with it got erased and I don't care about forfeiting support for the time being.) Beta 2 ran fine for me. I just hope that this now-unstable feature gets attention before version 3!

"Ungrab" doesn't work because when the OS doesn't accept any keyboard or mouse input; the GUI will eventually respond to mouse movements (minutes later), which operate normally, albeit with the beach ball syndrome for most of the time.

Which files should I check the permissions of? All files in "Boot Camp partition.vmwarevm" are owned by me and are +rw. So, there won't be any complications if I copy (backup) this dir and create a new VM?

0 Kudos
bstein
Contributor
Contributor

Not wanting to wait any longer for a response (which may not have ever come?), I bit the bullet and had Fusion make a new Boot Camp VM--and it worked! But only after I set suspend.disabled = "FALSE" in the .vmx (which I had evidently done before when I first installed 1.x way back when. Smiley Wink

Now, even though the partition was already prepared to be a VM, the process of preparing the partition failed; however, whatever it did apparently did the trick.

0 Kudos