VMware Communities
Offbeatmammal
Contributor
Contributor

Support for Microsoft Wireless HDMI dongle

If I am booted into Windows 10 (BootCamp) I am able to hit {Windows/Apple}-P for the Project dialog and connect to an external wireless display device (in this case a Microsoft Wireless HDMI adapter) and all works as expected.

Back in OSX and running the same BootCamp image within Fusion (8.5) I can bring up the Project dialog, but there is no option there to connect to a wireless device Smiley Sad I have the same issue in a non-BootCamp Win10 VM.

Is there a workaround to get it working, or anything that VMWare might be able to do to enable support in a subsequent update? With the new Macbook Pro missing a native HDMI cable this has suddenly become a little more urgent for me!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Interesting device, never seen it before.

The problem appears to be that Windows expects a wireless device (a WiFi adapter) for setting up the external screen and while your VM might have internet access via one, it doesn't know that. There's currently no way to directly connect the VM to the wireless interface on your mac and have it see that as a wireless device, so there's no fix for this, nor would I expect a fix on this. For your VM the internet connection appears as wired, so unless there is a way to setup the external screen via a wired interface this won't work.

The only think I can imagine as a workaround would be to buy a USB wireless connector and then directly connect that USB device to the Windows guest OS.

But that's not exactly an ideal workaround either.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Offbeatmammal
Contributor
Contributor

hmmm. I have a wireless wifi dongle somewhere... would be an interesting experiment... if I can find it, I'll report back...

0 Kudos