VMware Communities
ajbrehm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SuSE Linux uses a core at 100% all the time.

I have a Linux VM (SuSE 11.1, I think) that uses 100% CPU time whenever it is running regardless of whether it is doing much. Is there a way to make Linux play nice with VMware?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander

Have you installed the Vmware tools in this VM? If not that is the first thing to do. I had the same issue with a VM and that took care of it. You can also try to limit the amount of resources it has access to.

Message was edited by: Chamon

ajbrehm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SuSE Linux came with VMware tools, apparently I should update them. Ta.

0 Kudos
ajbrehm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried installing the VMware tools.

The pl script told me that older versions of the modules were already installed and gave a wrong location for them.

Lsmod and modprobe revealed that the pl script also listed some modules that were not installed.

I finally found a directory /lib/modules//updates which contained the modules. I tarred and deleted it.

Then I ran the pl script again. It asked a few dozen times whether it is OK to overwrite existing VMware tools files and then finally announced that it doesn't actually have a module for my kernel version (AFTER it replaced all the other files). But it said it could compile a module for me if I had a C compiler.

So I went and installed GCC (which is apparently not part of a SuSE standard install). Then the pl script complained that my GCC (4.3) is a bit older than the version of GCC the kernel was compiled with (apparently 4.3.2). I tried to update GCC via SuSE update but there were no updates. Why Novell distributes Linux with a different version of GCC than they used to compile the kernel is beyond me.

And that was the point when I simply gave up on replacing the VMware tools. Everything still seems to work.

0 Kudos