VMware Communities
vwgtiturbo
Contributor
Contributor

Strange issue with Fusion 1.1.1 (and 1.0) and Keyspan USA-19HS USB-Serial Converter

Hello, I have been searching for the solution to this issue for DAYS, and the only suggestion I found (using socat) doesn't work, as socat is broken on Leopard. SO, I will prod the minds on the internet to try to find out what is happening...

On Leopard, while running a VW in Fusion, if I connect the Keyspan, OSX 'releases' it (as the Keyspan Serial Assistant reports that it is no longer connected) and Fusion picks it up. XP in the VM sees it, and the Keyspan Utility for Windows sees the converter, and it passes the built-in tests. However, NONE of my serial devices are actually communicating with XP. It's like XP can see the Keyspan, but not the device on the other side of it.

Now, if I reboot into Boot Camp, everything works like a champ, and if I go to my wife's PC, it works. So, I am thinking that it is something with Fusion or OSX not fully releasing the Keyspan (when I used to use Tiger, I had to use a utility called Serialclient to release the Keyspan to Parallels' VM, but Serialclient no longer works). I tried to set up Fusion to use a file as the serial port (/tmp/serial) BUT with SOCAT not working, I have no idea how to pass the USB-Serial converter to the file.

I don't expect a how-to kind of answer (I can research, no problem Smiley Happy ), but could someone at least point me in the right direction, maybe give me a pointer to find out why the converter APPEARS to go from the host to the guest (but something is hanging up the communication)? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vwgtiturbo
Contributor
Contributor

Well, since this forum isn't much help, I will say, in case some other lost soul struggles with this as I did, that the way to solve it is to create a new VM. It isn't the best solution, naturally, but it did work for me.

0 Kudos