VMware Communities
AllSystemsDown
Contributor
Contributor

Stop automatic VM start

Hey VMWare community,

I've been using VMware for over a year now and love it. I've been searching for a solution, but can't seem to find it. I'm running the latest version of VMWare Fusion 4 (Version 4.1.1) on Lion.

The annoying problem is when I click on my VM Library, it then selects one of 3 VM's and starts booting it up automatically.

I don't like this behavior, how do I prevent automatic start up of any given VM? I've read you need to check/uncheck the "star" but I don't see a star or anything else for that matter. Perhaps I'm making this more difficult than it should be? This recently started happening, and not sure what I did to trigger this behavior.

Thanks all!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

try this. please see below

AllSystemsDown
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I've looked under that and all my VM's have that option disabled. For some reason, it still automatically starts up.

0 Kudos
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can you switch to unity view with the virtual machine open, ctrl-click or right-click the vm in the dock and select options. Is open at login selected?

AllSystemsDown
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, thanks for helping me out. Unfortunately, it is not selected.

0 Kudos
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No problem.  Read this article below.  There was a resolution to this but it seems involved.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/207267?start=0&tstart=0

0 Kudos
AllSystemsDown
Contributor
Contributor

Meh...looks like that article is for older versions. I may just reinstall. Thankfully my VM's are a completely separate file...

Thanks for all your help! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
koi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The annoying problem is when I click on my VM Library, it then selects one of 3 VM's and starts booting it up automatically.

I don't like this behavior, how do I prevent automatic start up of any given VM? I've read you need to check/uncheck the "star" but I don't see a star or anything else for that matter.

The star was in Fusion 2/3, it's not in 4.

Can you screencast this happening so we know what it looks like?

Is it always the same virtual machine that starts?

Have you tried reinstalling Fusion?

Have you tried backing up and deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.vmware.fusion.plist (~/Library is hidden on Lion) (this will also remove all virtual machines from your library, but you can re-add them).

0 Kudos
AllSystemsDown
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks koi - I had some issues with a VM, and another got corrupted so I had to delete the VM from the library and add them again. Then there was an update today, so now the auto-start isn't happening at the moment. This kind of fixed itself in a dumb sort of way...  😕

Thanks for all the replies...great community!

0 Kudos