VMware Communities
rockrus
Contributor
Contributor

Still on Lion and Fusion 3

I have read the VMware KB article on Lion and Fusion 3. I know that the ideal is reinstalling Fusion 3 after upgrading to Lion. I hate the trouble of setting up Fusion 3 and reinstalling Windows 7 Ultimate all over again. . . . my question: IS IT DISASTROUS TO JUST UPGRADE TO LION WITH FUSION 3 in SNOW LEOPARD in?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tracywang
Expert
Expert

You don't need to reinstall your Win 7 vm, just uninstall/reinstall the VMware fusion app and uninstall/reinstall the VMware Tools in the VM.

Since Fusion 3 is not offical release of VMware to support Lion, to avoid some issues we saw in the community, you would better follow the steps in the VMware KB articles, and I believe it will save your time. (you may waste a lot of time to trouble shot if you do not reinstall) Smiley Wink

rockrus
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Forgive my ignorance, but how can I uninstall Fusion 3 without removing MS Windows 7 ultimate? I guess I am still thinking as a PC user, I am rather new in the Mac format. I cant imagine uninstally Fusion without removing Windows since Windows is "sitting" on Fusion to run in the Mac OS environment. Or am I thinking wrongly about it . . . . btw, in the Mac do I still "uninstall" things like in Windows to remove an application?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion does not remove Virtual Machines! Just like uninstalling Microsoft Office doesn't remove all the documents you've created with it, now does it? No! Smiley Wink

Uninstalling an App in OS X is in most cases as simple as dragging the App to the Trash and emptying it however some applications that use installers also use uninstallers and currently VMware Fusion requires the use of the uninstaller and you can run that from the .dmg disk image or directly from "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Uninstall VMware Fusion.app".

rockrus
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos