VMware Communities
macwunder
Contributor
Contributor

Starting virtual machine kills host networking?

This host is running Lion, user profile is migrated from host running Snow Leopard. VMware Fusion version 3.14...

When I start my Windows XP Pro VM, any network apps (Mail, Safari, etc.) running on my host Mac lose their connectivity and the VM never attains an IP address (bridged mode). If I chose NAT, the VM gets an IP but the host still loses connectivity.

I have uninstalled Fusion and reinstaled... Uninstalled VMware Tools... Repaired disk permissions... Pulling my hair out! Any suggestions?

Thanks;

Jeff

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Depends on how the networking is configured inside the XP VM.

0 Kudos
macwunder
Contributor
Contributor

It was setup as obtain via DHCP.

Interesting, I tried to create a new VM, with the settings I desired, and as soon as installation started the host network died. I am now creating a new VM with default settings and it seems to be working... Go figure.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jeff,

Can you provide a bit more information about your host hardware: What model of Mac is it?  (It's in System Profiler > Hardware Overview > Model Identifier.)  Are you using a Built-In Ethernet port, Airport, or something else Apple or 3rd-party?  Once your host loses connectivity, do you get connectivity back if you shut down the VM and/or quit Fusion, or do you need to restart the host?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
macwunder
Contributor
Contributor

It's a Hackintosh... GigaByte MB, on board Realtech LAN

Model Name:     Mac Pro

Model Identifier:     MacPro3,1

Processor Name:     Intel Core i5

Processor Speed:     3.19 GHz

Number of Processors:     1

Total Number of Cores:     4

L2 Cache (per Core):     256 KB

L3 Cache:     6 MB

Memory:     4 GB

Boot ROM Version:     MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com

SMC Version (system):     1.30f3

Serial Number (system):     xxxxxxxxxxx

Hardware UUID:     097FFA9A-4593-56AE-8610-1AB42F77D879

Ethernet:

MAC Address:     00:19:b9:0a:d8:8c

Media Options:     Full Duplex

Media Subtype:     1000baseT

The VM started life on my Intel iMac, migrated to Dell GX-620 Dellintosh fine (32-bit), but not this one. When the host loses network, it requires a restart.

I have created a new XP Pro VM and am installing all the MS updates now... Network seems fine. Maybe it's a good thing... Don't really need a 46 GB disk image for a secondary OS..

Thanks all;

Jeff

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

You do realize, of course, that your Hackintosh is not a supported hardware platform for Fusion. Which might limit the responses that you get from this point forward.

You might have better luck getting help from VMware if you can reproduce this on your Intel Mac.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

This is a violation of the EULA and as such as no place for discussion in these forums. 

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

As already said, we can't support your question here as it is violating the apple EULA.

Here's the quote from the Snow Leopard SLA:

You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so.

I'll lock this discussion. Please feel free to start a new one if you reproduce your problem on an apple branded hardware.

Regards

0 Kudos