VMware Communities
Pennywaffer
Contributor
Contributor

Starting Windows 7 VM Hangs Host

I've been using a Windows 7 virtual machine for months without any problems. Then from one day to the next it just hangs when starting up. Worse, OSX itself seems to lock up, showing a permanent spinning beachball and barely responding to mouse and keyboard input. The only way to get out of this state is by doing a hard reset (trying to log off, shut down or force quit VMWare Fusion won't work). When trying to start up the virtual machine again, Window 7 will indicate that it didn't shutdown properly and suggest to choose the "Launch Startup Repair" option. Regardless of whether I choose to repair or not, a few seconds later everything will hang and I have to reset my machine again. My other (Windows 7) machines still work fine, it's just this one.

I've tried repairing the virtual disk using the vmware-vdiskmanager commandm but the only response I get is "No errors were found on the virtual disk". Should I write this virtual machine off, or are there other things I can try to fix it?

My host specs are

Model Name:     MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier:     MacBookPro5,1
  Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:     2.4 GHz
  Number Of Processors:     1
  Total Number Of Cores:     2
  L2 Cache:     3 MB
  Memory:     4 GB
  Bus Speed:     1.07 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:     MBP51.007E.B05

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.6.0

I'm running VMWare Fusion Version 3.1.2 (332101), The virtual machine runs WIndows 7 with 1GB RAM.

0 Kudos
0 Replies