VMware Communities
MarcinZalewski
Contributor
Contributor

Spotlight indexing begins after a VM is resumed

I am quite desperate. I am running Fusion 5.0.2 on OS X 10.8.2 with Windows 7 as the guest. Every time I resume my suspended machine, Spotlight indexing begins bringing my machine to a crawl. I have tried to add a privacy setting to Spotlight, excluding the folder that contains my VMs from indexing. I have tried to remove that folder from TimeMachine as well. Still, when the machine is resumed, indexing begins immediately. Does anyone have any advice on how to stop this? Is Spotilght indexing related to Unity in any way?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well the first thing I do is see what Spotlight is actually indexing upon un-suspending the Virtual Machine.  This can be done from a Terminal using either of the following commands.

Note: Copy & Paste the command line into a Terminal so as not to mistype it.  Because these command lines use sudo you'll need to type in your password for these to execute.  Open a Terminal and copy and paste and start one of these commands just prior to un-suspending the Virtual Machine.  (BTW This first commands syntax is actually sudo opensnoop -p PID where PID (Process ID) is of mdworker (or other program) and I've written the command so you do not first have to manually find the PID of mdworker.)

sudo opensnoop -p `ps -A | grep -m1 mdworker | awk '{print $1}'`

Or

sudo fs_usage -w -f filesys mdworker | egrep "open"

Once you see what's actually being indexed you can then attempt to make adjustments to the Spotlight Privacy settings in System Preferences.

MarcinZalewski
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I missed the notification for your reply. I will try what you suggested and see what happens.

0 Kudos