VMware Communities
ekimneems
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Splitting network connections between XP and OS X?

Hi all, I would like to be able to be on a closed LAN (with no access to the internet) connected via ethernet on Windows XP via VMWare Fusion, but in MacOS X be connecting to the internet via a wireless connection. Is this possible? I often work in a situation where I need to be on this closed network for a database system but would like access to the internet as well. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VMware KB Artical neglects to state that you have to restart VMware Fusions Network after editing the boot.sh file.

In a Terminal copy and paste the following command and press Enter.

sudo "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh" --restart

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

Have a look at the attached file.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MPM01
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You can Map the NIC to the Virtual Machine and use it for the purpose you are looking for.

Refer the below KB article for Maping the NIC

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1001875&sl...

powervm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-2527

Change the VM network mode to 'Bridged' and now VM can able to get the IP from Wireless network, since the Wireless is primary network in Host

ekimneems
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys - I am currently using bridged mode. I want the VM to use the ethernet connection and OS X to use the wireless. I know that the VM is currently using the ethernet connection because I am on the database and able to access the other machines on the Windows network. However, in OS X, even though I'm connected to the wireless network, I cannot get out to the internet (presumably because it's using the ethernet connection as well).

0 Kudos
Silica_V
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

By default VMware Fusion uses Ethernet connection only.

Regards, Vijaykumar B.
0 Kudos
ekimneems
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looks like I may have found it... In Network Prefs of OS X I chose the settings button, then "Set Order" and dragged Airport to the top of the priority order. Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
ekimneems
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So it looks like changing the priority worked in OS X, but not in VMware - it changed VMware to the wireless as well. So as per the first response, I edited the boot.sh file and bound it to en0, but it still did not work even after quitting VMware, then editing, then starting up the vm.

Any clue why even after altering the file it would bind the bridge to the wireless?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The VMware KB Artical neglects to state that you have to restart VMware Fusions Network after editing the boot.sh file.

In a Terminal copy and paste the following command and press Enter.

sudo "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh" --restart

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

Have a look at the attached file.

0 Kudos
ekimneems
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks so much, verified as working!

0 Kudos