VMware Communities
TechTrainerCC
Contributor
Contributor

Split disk into 2GB files

I am trying to create a virtual HD that is split into multiple 2GB segments. Everytime I try this, I end up with one giant 36GB file. I've reviewed the doc. I've checked the "Split disk into 2GB files".

I'm using VMWare Fusion Version 1.1 (62573)

I'm wondering if this is a bug? Have others successfully used this option with the same build?

I tried the "allocate now" option with the "2GB" option and had the same results, one large file.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am trying to create a virtual HD that is split into multiple 2GB segments. Everytime I try this, I end up with one giant 36GB file. I've reviewed the doc. I've checked the "Split disk into 2GB files". I'm wondering if this is a bug? Have others successfully used this option with the same build?

I have no problem creating split disks and I haven't seen your issue before so my only suggestion would be to try uninstalling/reinstalling VMware Fusion but first before you do that how do you know it's not splitting the virtual hard disk? Have you looked in the Virtual Machine's Bundle Package to see if the .vmdk file is a single or multiple file(s)?

On a 20 GB Split Disk I have the follow files in the Virtual Machine's Bundle Package after creating it using the New Virtual Machine Assistant.

Windows XP Professional.vmx

Windows XP Professional.vmsd

Windows XP Professional.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s001.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s002.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s003.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s004.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s005.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s006.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s007.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s008.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s009.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s010.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-s011.vmdk

Are you saying that no matter what you do you only have one .vmdk file in the Virtual Machine's Bundle Package?

If yes then the only suggestion I have is to uninstall/reinstall VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
TechTrainerCC
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! I'm a little embarrassed. I didn't now about the bundle package. When I look in the package, I find exactly what I was looking.

0 Kudos