VMware Communities
tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sound recording garbled in VM 1.1 w/ XP / Leopard System

I upgraded to VM Fusion 1.1 and lost the ability to record in XP. Please help!

--tom

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

YES! Downgrading the tools manually worked! My broken wrist thanks you!

Yeah!!! I'm glad it worked for you! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I upgraded to VM Fusion 1.1 and lost the ability to record in XP. Please help!

Garbled sound input with Fusion on Leopard is a known issue. There is an incompatibility between Leopard and Fusion that was found after 1.1 was released and VMware is looking to have a fix in the next release but in the mean time the work-a-round is to attach a USB microphone to your VM.

tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Could you clarify?

USB mic with what settings?

Does that mean monkeying around with Windows sound control panel?

I assume I start by "connecting" the usb mic in the lower-right corner of VMWare Fusion? Then what?

Thanks in advance!

--tom

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Depending on USB device you use you will most likely need to install the software that comes with it first and then with the VM having the focus you would plug the USB device in the Mac and Windows will see it. The USB Mic I use has it's own Control Panel however it integrates with Windows nicely. Plantronics is the brand I have. http://www.plantronics.com

0 Kudos
tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Logitech says i need no sw or drivers.

Fusion "connects" to the device and XP Sound Control panel shows the USB mic as my recording device.

Now I've lost my sound out and recording still seems to fail.

--tom

0 Kudos
tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

alternately, how would i downgrade to fusion 1.0? will that create more problems than it fixes?

the only reason i emulate is for voice recognition needed b/c of my broken wrist!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

alternately, how would i downgrade to fusion 1.0? will that create more problems than it fixes?

the only reason i emulate is for voice recognition needed b/c of my broken wrist!

I do not know if the issue VMware needs to fix is in Fusion itself or in VMware Tools version in the latest release. That said and unless someone from VMware can comment on it I would first try downgrading the VMware Tools to the Tools in Fusion 1.0 and if that didn't work then I would try downgrading Fusion itself to 1.0.

If you still have the .dmg for 1.0 you can extract the Windows.iso and use that to downgrad VMware Tools.

Let me know what your thinking and I'll do what I can/have time for to try and help you resolve the downgrade.

I would start by backing up the entire VM Package Bundle in case things get screwed up. Do you have the disk space available?

Edit: Removed bit about downgrading sound driver... Sorry to say this but in XP it looks like the sound driver is being provided by Windows so forget the sound driver part and try downgrading all of VMware Tools first before downgrading Fusion itself.

0 Kudos
tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i have disk space and 1.0 dmg but im not sure i understand what youre suggesting.

what do i extract? from where? how?

what needs to be backed up?

--tom

0 Kudos
tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

why isnt the usb mic working, though?

--tom

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

why isnt the usb mic working, though?

I'm sorry I just don't have enough information to determine that and it can be extremely difficult under the circumstances trying to trouble shoot it when I can't be sitting right in front of the system. No offense intended but sometimes it much harder to fix when the User is between the issue and the one trying to fix it. Heck when my friends call me for help I have the bring up TeamViewer and tell them to go get a cup of coffee and fix things thought remote access when possible. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i have disk space and 1.0 dmg but im not sure i understand what youre suggesting.

what do i extract? from where? how?

what needs to be backed up?

It would be the Virtual Machine Package Bundle that would be backed up. Have a look at:

You would have to extract the window.iso file from the 1.0 .dmg file as it the windows .iso that contains VMware Tools.

You would uninstall VMware Tools in the VM and the manually assign the windows.iso to be the CD\DVD and the install the downgraded version of VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so what do I do? Uninstall 1.1 and install 1.0? Will that work?

0 Kudos
tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

last q: where is the window.img that i need to extract from the 1.0 dmg?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

so what do I do? Uninstall 1.1 and install 1.0? Will that work?

You can either start by downgrading VMware Tools only and see if that has any impact. Or just uninstall 1.1 and the downgrade to Fusion to 1.0. Your Choice! To me it nothing to try VMware Tools downgrade first and if that doesn't work then downgrade Fusion.

You ask will it work?... If I knew that... well I'll know when your done if you tell us. Smiley Happy

When it comes down to it what other choice do you have as the underlying issue is not going to be fixed untill the next release and VMware make nor promises anyway.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

last q: where is the window.img that i need to extract from the 1.0 dmg?

You have to extract the Archive.pax.gz file from the VMware-Fusion-1.x.x-xxxxx.dmg file and then un-archive it and the windows.iso will be located at /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/windows.iso

Edit: Added Directions:

Mount the VMware-Fusion-1.x.x-xxxxx.dmg file

Create a Folder that your going to extract the contents of the Archive.pax.gz file into.

In a Terminal window copy and paste the following command

cp "/Volumes/VMware Fusion/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz" "Folder To Extract To"

Example: I made a folder in the Root of the Macintosh HD called Temp and a Folder in Temp called VMware

cp "/Volumes/VMware Fusion/Install VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Resources/Install VMware Fusion.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz" "/Temp/VMware"

Now in Finder go to /Temp/VMware and ctrl-click on Archive.pax.gz and select Open With BOMArchiveHelper

This will create the File Archive.pax and a Folder named Archive

windows.iso is at: /Temp/VMware/Archive//Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages/windows.iso

When done you can delete the entire /Temp Folder.

0 Kudos
tomcat04
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah!!! I'm glad it worked for you! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody,

I had a problem where I didn't have any files installed in /Library/Applicaiton Support for VMware Fusion 1.1.1. Your instructions were a big help as I was able to extract all the files. Now I'm up up and running with WinXP on a Macbook Air without problems.

I copies all the files from the extracted temp file into /Library/Applicaiton Support/VMware. Should I have just copied the windows.iso file there? Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you don't have anything in /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion, Fusion would not be able to run at all - we depend on a number of files there. Are you sure you weren't looking at ~/Library/Application Support ?

0 Kudos
mgerbasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

etung,

Well now that explains it! Doesn't the fact I'm a complete mac newbie show now Smiley Happy

I deleted the files from <username>/library/application support/vmware fusion since they are where they should be located.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Kudos