VMware Communities
movielad
Contributor
Contributor

Sound in Windows XP 64 Professional?

Does anybody know whether there will be sound support for a Guest OS running Windows XP 64 Professional? I notice just about everything else is supported except sound.

Regards,

Martyn

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Windows 64-bit guests need the VMaudio driver. See the Workstation download page, drivers and tools tab.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Like RDPetruska said, you need the 64-bit audio driver

http://www.vmware.com/download/ws/drivers_tools.html

+VMaudio Driver (experimental)

To play sound in virtual machines running 64-bit versions of Windows guest operating systems, you need to install the driver below. This driver is for the 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP Pro guest operating systems running on VMware Workstation 5.5 or higher.

Version: 5.10.0.3500 | 12/29/2005 | 12 KB

<a href="http://download3.vmware.com/software/wkst/vmaudio-5.10.0.3500.zip">Download</a>+

Note: Workstation 6.0 may have a newer version of this driver but i could not find an easy link for this. Perhaps you should ask the Fusion team to provide this information in their upcoming release too.

0 Kudos
movielad
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but there is no Sound Hardware listed within the VM - and there doesn't appear to be a way of adding it. Trying to detect Sound hardware within the VM doesn't work either - therefore, I can only assume that Fusion does not support sound at all for WinXP 64 just yet.

M.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

No, this sounds like a problem with the configuration file. What sound.* lines do you have in your configuration? Do you have 'sound.present = "TRUE"' and do you have a sound.virtualDev line?

0 Kudos
movielad
Contributor
Contributor

There's no reference to sound at all in the configuration file. I've tried trashing and re-creating the VM from within Fusion's interface, but to no avail - hence why I was thinking whether VMware had disabled support for sound devices for WinXP 64 VMs at this stage..

M.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Well you will need both a sound configuration and the 64-bit audio device driver above. With the VM shutdown, try adding these lines to your VM's .vmx file using BBEdit or vi. (Don't use TextEdit as it causes problems)

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

sound.fileName = ""[/code]

Let us know if you get it working.

0 Kudos
movielad
Contributor
Contributor

That configuration didn't work, but I got around it by creating a standard Windows XP VM and copying it's sound configuration and pasting it into the WinXP_64 config. I've now got the sound hardware enabled and I've been able to install the 64-bit drivers and all seems to be well!

The relevant config is:

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"[/code]

Many thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to submit a request to VMWare about the missing sound configuration when creating a Windows XP 64-bit VM, and to include reference to the 64-bit drivers for subsequent betas and final release.

Thanks again Smiley Happy

Regards,

Martyn

Message was edited by:

movielad

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Awesome! Sound makes a big difference. On the config, that's my sound configuration for 32-bit XP from an earlier Fusion build. I will create a new machine and upgrade my settings. Thanks!

0 Kudos