VMware Communities
sirlink
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sound in Bootcamp running Fusion 5.0.1

Running build 825449 and a Windows 7 bootcamp partition.  I am not getting any sound output from the VM.  I checked the VMX, and the settings and sound is set to true.  I tried removing the sound card and readding it while powered off, but that didn't seem to make a difference.  I also tried uninstalling the sound card from device manager within Windows, then re-installed the tools, but that didn't give me any sound either.  I am getting sound from Mountain Lion, just not the Window 7 partition.

Any thoughts how to get sound working?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since you mentioned its boot camp.. Can you check if sound is proper when you boot into the windows by logging into boot camp directly?  If its fine there, then the issue is related to fusion. If not, issue exists within the guest os itself  ( thts windows ) or its settings .

Click on the speaker icon in windows 7 system tray  ( lower left corner ) and check what is the volume set there.

Assuming that sound on boot camp is fine,  log into mac again and check the vmx file. Ensure that following lines are present

sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.filename = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

Also, if you fine the following lines, DELETE them

sound.virtualdev = "sb16"
sound.virtualdev = "es1371"
sound.virtualdev = "hdaudio"

save the vmx and start windows under fusion

Cheers! Avanish

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are there any flags in Windows Device Manager especially under the "Sound, video and game controllers" node of the Hardware Tree or have you looked in Windows Event Viewer for anything that may help diagnose the issue?

0 Kudos
sirlink
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

afraid not... I do have a base system device that has no driver... Not sure if that is related...

What's odd, is I just discovered some games have sound (though muffled) but no Windows event sounds or audio feedback when setting volume levels...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

afraid not... I do have a base system device that has no driver... Not sure if that is related...

Did you uninstall VMware Tools, not a repair install, and the reinstall VMware Tools?  The Base System Device should be taken care of by a successful VMware Tools install.

Also what are the Driver Details for Sound from within Device Manager?

sirlink
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yeah, did... But I am going to try again...

I had some time to work on this more, I discovered that the windows sounds are playing, but they are extreamly quite compared to the OS X volume.  Guess some games are working because the volume tends to be much higher and controlable for each game.

I bumpted the volume sliders up all the way, but I have to blast the mac volume to get windows to a decient level...

I don't recall having this issue in the past...

I did find this Loudness Equalization helps boost the volume...

Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 10.42.49 AM.png

Edit:

Should the sound device be using a Microsoft driver or VMware? This didn't change with tools removed...

Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 10.43.28 AM.png

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Since you mentioned its boot camp.. Can you check if sound is proper when you boot into the windows by logging into boot camp directly?  If its fine there, then the issue is related to fusion. If not, issue exists within the guest os itself  ( thts windows ) or its settings .

Click on the speaker icon in windows 7 system tray  ( lower left corner ) and check what is the volume set there.

Assuming that sound on boot camp is fine,  log into mac again and check the vmx file. Ensure that following lines are present

sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.filename = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

Also, if you fine the following lines, DELETE them

sound.virtualdev = "sb16"
sound.virtualdev = "es1371"
sound.virtualdev = "hdaudio"

save the vmx and start windows under fusion

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
sirlink
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have those lines in my vmnx, but also sound.virtualdev = "hdaudio", so I deleted it and now the device without a driver is gone and the sound device changed.  Volume seems to match OS X now.  Wonder if that was left over from the pervious version?

Screen Shot 2012-11-10 at 1.23.16 PM.png

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Based on my findings, Fusion 4 use hardware version 8 whch by default, come with an HD Audio device that is compatible with RealTek ALC888 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio Codec . Version 5 uses a different virual sound device.

Hence deleting those lines cleared the error in device manager and sound returned to normal.

So that answers your question.

I am glad it worked.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos