VMware Communities
johndefiore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

[Solved] Have been unable to upgrade Win 10 to Anniversary or Creators edition

I can still get updates for the version I'm on, it think it's 1511.  However, when I used Windows update to try to get the Anniversary edition or now the Creators edition it installs, reboots, gets to a screen that asks me to "choose my keyboard layout", then fails with the option to troubleshoot or turn off my PC.  Any of the troubleshooting options fail, so turning off and rebooting restores the previous version of Win 10.

I tried downloading the .ISO and mounting that, same exact problem.  Uninstalled VMWARE tools, disabled the SVGA adapter, clean booted with MSCHONFIG with services disabled, tried a few other things suggested on the web, but no joy.  Always the same issue.

Any ideas?  I have VMWARE fusion 8.5.8, Win 10 build 1511 (if I remember right).  Have tried updating no less than a dozen times with the same result.  The Windows update history shows no error codes.

Here's what happens, though this is a copy from someone else having the same problem.  His solution didn't work for me.

UPDATE: the last time I tried I get the following error: '0xC1900101 - 0x20017 Installation failed during safe OS phase with an error during boot operation'

Googling that error I find mostly suggestions that I've already tried.  Lots of suggestions to uninstall or disable drivers, etc.  Pretty sad if that's what's necessary to get an update to work.  Seems like this might not be related to Fusion, but if anyone has any experience with this I'd love to hear about it.

[SOLVED] After days of trial and error and Googling possible solutions and many hours of trying updates I was finally successful.  My disk drive type in Fusion was set to SCSI.  I changed it to IDE and the upgrade finally installed without errors.  I have no idea why or how this worked, but it did, and hopefully it can help anyone else who has this problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johndefiore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem solved, see update in original post.  Though it worked, I have no idea why or how-  If anyone can shed any light on this it might be helpful in the future.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Was the VM upgraded from Windows 7?

Is the guest OS type set to Windows 10?

Is the Virtual Hardware Version set to 12?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
johndefiore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Michael, the answer to all questions is yes.

0 Kudos
johndefiore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem solved, see update in original post.  Though it worked, I have no idea why or how-  If anyone can shed any light on this it might be helpful in the future.

0 Kudos